Raceable street car or Streetable racecar?

Cordell

Okay so I can't quit fighting with myself about my Camaro. Let me start by saying that I admire 2 cars in particular on this site. Anthony's Formula, why? because it maintains all of its creature comforts, looks nice, and can be drivin all while breaking 10s. Who else Ray's Trans Am (last years set-up anyway), why? because it's just badass, no nonsense wheel pulling powerfull racecar, now I haven't seen it in person and realize that it still had alot of it's amenities but still. The attitudes of both these cars are quite different in my opinion, but I'm getting to the point where I need to chose which route to go. I'm thinking of ditching all the extra weight, going with a more suitable converter, setting up a drag race suspention, and eventually running 9s, or I can leave stuff closer to the way it is, make a couple minor suspension mods, and work on making a 10 second car with as little modification as possible.

Keep in mind I try not to nutswing off of these two, but I do really like their cars as they make good comparisons. Mine won't be a copy of either one, but will have a similar attitude. Mean and nasty, or closer to what it is now? Do I show up to the track and run big, or do I show up in comfort and turn on my nitrous and run decent?

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i disagree with you about anthony's car, the exhaust is fucking ridiculous I dont consider it much of a street car with comforts when you cant hear yourself think or drive though a neighborhood at night with a conscience.. we traded cars for a day last year and believe me he liked being in a low 11 sec fairly quiet mustang i dont think a couple tenths of a second is worth all that racket it makes

Personally i think you would have more fun with a raceable street car (10 sec driver) because you can take it on the streets, you know its reliable, drive it anywhere, and still go to the track. On the other hand if you build a full blown race car, it wont be as much fun on the street, not as reliable, breaking stuff all the time etc. where as you can have a fast car you love to drive and leave it at that.

Not talking about anyones cars, this is how i would see it.

i disagree with you about anthony's car, the exhaust is fucking ridiculous I dont consider it much of a street car with comforts when you cant hear yourself think or drive though a neighborhood at night with a conscience.. we traded cars for a day last year and believe me he liked being in a low 11 sec fairly quiet mustang i dont think a couple tenths of a second is worth all that racket it causes.

Okay well I have to agree with you on that one, that's not really what I was thinking about. Disregard the skinnies and ridiculas exhaust, and that's what I have in mind.

Personally i think you would have more fun with a raceable street car (10 sec driver) because you can take it on the streets, you know its reliable, drive it anywhere, and still go to the track. On the other hand if you build a full blown race car, it wont be as much fun on the street, not as reliable, breaking stuff all the time etc. where as you can have a fast car you love to drive and leave it at that.

Not talking about anyones cars, this is how i would see it.

I agree with you to a point, but my car breaks stuff now, and why wouldn't it be fun on the street? ;)

Guest Removed
i disagree with you about anthony's car, the exhaust is fucking ridiculous I dont consider it much of a street car with comforts when you cant hear yourself think or drive though a neighborhood at night with a conscience.. we traded cars for a day last year and believe me he liked being in a low 11 sec fairly quiet mustang i dont think a couple tenths of a second is worth all that racket it makes

:bs:

loud and proud!

beside's he drives it like a grandma.

roll the windows up and kick the a/c on and turn the radio up...

and who cares..streetable is yet still a definition to be named here

I agree with you to a point, but my car breaks stuff now, and why wouldn't it be fun on the street? ;)

Breaking happens, but there must be a point where too much power is no fun on the street... Since the street isnt a prepped surface, traction will be very limited, even when you want to run. Plus not to mention all that extra money you would need to put into the car to get from 10s to 9s.

:bs:

loud and proud!

beside's he drives it like a grandma.

roll the windows up and kick the a/c on and turn the radio up...

and who cares..streetable is yet still a definition to be named here

Streetable is a muffler or some kind of exhaust not neccesarily quiet, working lights/horn/ect., just what the cops would pull you over for. Basically the question is do I quit pussy footing around and make it as max effort as my budget allows.

Breaking happens, but there must be a point where too much power is no fun on the street... Since the street isnt a prepped surface, traction will be very limited, even when you want to run. Plus not to mention all that extra money you would need to put into the car to get from 10s to 9s.

Honestly I think my car is some suspension, weight reduction, and a 200 shot away from 9s :eek:

well that pesky stock 10 bolt is still in there, but that'll be gone regardless.

Honestly I think my car is some suspension, weight reduction, and a 200 shot away from 9s :eek:

well that pesky stock 10 bolt is still in there, but that'll be gone regardless.

Kinda sounds like you got your mind set, thinkin/talking bout 9's, asking why too much power isnt fun. Seems like this should just be closed haha.

How hard is it to get a 5.7 liter v8 to run 10's reliable? From all the lsx god talk, it should be able to be a 9 second street car with some work and time. I mean if there can be 9 second daily 4 cly's on this board it should be that much more easy for a v8 to do it.

How hard is it to get a 5.7 liter v8 to run 10's reliable? From all the lsx god talk, it should be able to be a 9 second street car with some work and time. I mean if there can be 9 second daily 4 cly's on this board it should be that much more easy for a v8 to do it.

Well considering I already have a forged 6.0l in the car, that has already gone 11.5 spinning, I'm not far from 10s and will be doing that regardless.

BTW this isn't my dd.

Well considering I already have a forged 6.0l in the car, that has already gone 11.5 spinning, I'm not far from 10s and will be doing that regardless.

BTW this isn't my dd.

BTW after seeing your car last night...very nice ride

BTW this isn't my dd.

I am not sure on your budget but why not put a nice turbo or supercharger on the car? Keep all the interior ac all the stuff in and drive it that way.

Guest Removed
Streetable is a muffler or some kind of exhaust not neccesarily quiet, working lights/horn/ect., just what the cops would pull you over for. Basically the question is do I quit pussy footing around and make it as max effort as my wifes budget allows.

fixxed!

but really..define streetable?

like mine..

mufflers check

2 seats check

wipers no(it will never see rain)

street tires (yes, and no...lol)

a/c and bs..hell no, why cause i dont care

caged so?

it will never be a daily or anything, but its what i call the raged edge of street car...

BTW after seeing your car last night...very nice ride

Thank you, it's getting to my original goals.

I am not sure on your budget but why not put a nice turbo or supercharger on the car? Keep all the interior ac all the stuff in and drive it that way.

Everyone is so into the forced induction nowadays. Call me old school, but I just don't want that. My budget isn't really the issue, just how long I want to take. If I could afford to build an all motor car I would, but I just feel that the nitrous is the best of both worlds. I don't have to have a crazy combo to run 9s and it'll still drive around town okay. I've heard too much about heatsoak and crazy camshafts that I'm deffenitly going to have a nitrous car either way.

fixxed!

but really..define streetable?

like mine..

mufflers check

2 seats check

wipers no(it will never see rain)

street tires (yes, and no...lol)

a/c and bs..hell no, why cause i dont care

caged so?

it will never be a daily or anything, but its what i call the raged edge of street car...

Yeah something like that, I just don't like the tubs and big ass tires that you've got. I wouldn't mind driving your car when it's done.

I'm fine with my exhaust, it's not nearly as loud inside the car. My car has very well manners.

Couple of tenths my ass, Derek :p

Well this would be the only thing I wouldn't change, I like flying under the radar. This is also why tubs and huge tires are out of the question, I don't want to look like much at first glance.

Guest Removed
Yeah something like that, I just don't like the tubs and big ass tires that you've got. I wouldn't mind driving your car when it's done.

10.5w's and its mini tubbed...they do the same thing on f bodys to run big 10.5 none w's...just cant run a 30" tall tire as easy, tucked like i can.:D

and when my car comes out it will have radials on it. 315/65/15 DR's in the rear, and 165/15 in the front (which derek needs to find for me damn it)

yes it will be loud and shit, lope like a mofo, and stink like c-16....but thats what i loved about old school muscle cars , and thats what i want. hence the old school theme going in it.

and of course you can drive it, then you will want to BB that fail body :p

Guest Removed
Well this would be the only thing I wouldn't change, I like flying under the radar. This is also why tubs and huge tires are out of the question, I don't want to look like much at first glance.

mini tubs on f body still mean shit..throw DRs on it(like 325/50s) and your in like flynn.

hell ant's car almost looks mini tubbed if you didnt know it

Guest Removed
I'm fine with my exhaust, it's not nearly as loud inside the car. My car has very well manners.

Couple of tenths my ass, Derek :p

you never did answer my question about which spintech mufflers :p