97 GTP - Dyno Tune vs Mail Order Tune

DTM Brian

Customer came all the way from Michigan today for a dyno tune. He had a shop who is big into 3800's do canned tune for him. He did some research and found that I have tuned a number of these cars.

The onlymodifications to this 144,000 mile GTP are Pulley, Colder Plugs, and a Cold Air Intake. It is not a power house. However the Dyno Tune was well worth it. He is making more power with a safer A/F and no knock retard.

Blue Lines=DTM Tune

Red Lines=Canned Tune from Michigan

http://75.180.27.125:50001/Dyno%20Graphs%20and%20Pictures./Dyno%20Graphs/Gary%20Hester.jpg

I can speculate who did the canned tune since the car is from Michigan. I hate canned tunes. There's NO way to tell what the customer has in their car air fuel wise among LOTS of other problems (vac leaks, shitty installs, etc). That's why I don't offer to tune anyones car anymore. Not worth the liability.

Good job though Brian!

I can speculate who did the canned tune since the car is from Michigan. I hate canned tunes. There's NO way to tell what the customer has in their car air fuel wise among LOTS of other problems (vac leaks, shitty installs, etc). That's why I don't offer to tune anyones car anymore. Not worth the liability.

Good job though Brian!

Thank you sir.

The car now has LTFT's at zero and better throttle response as well.

Customer came all the way from Michigan today for a dyno tune. He had a shop who is big into 3800's do canned tune for him. He did some research and found that I have tuned a number of these cars.

The onlymodifications to this 144,000 mile GTP are Pulley, Colder Plugs, and a Cold Air Intake. It is not a power house. However the Dyno Tune was well worth it. He is making more power with a safer A/F and no knock retard.

Blue Lines=DTM Tune

Red Lines=Canned Tune from Michigan

Respectable gains over stock. IIRC my 97 GTP came in at 192hp bone stock. Good job.

Why is the blue one started earlier ?

I'm guessing by looking at the tune the car had some KR and by richening it you picked up those ponies?

That OTS map looked dangerously lean.

updated to say KR kc is a subbie thing

Edited by Thorne

What size pulley is on it? I have stocker on mine but have just a 3" catted DP, intake and my tune I put on it. I'm wondering if I could throw a 3.5 on there and be safe.

you should be safe but i would suggest doing the other two cheap mods ( pems and a colder t-stat) then you should be able to drop to a 3.4 very safely... I assume your dp has no u-bend in it so all you need is pems really and you are good..

This car had a 3.4. If you want send a copy of your tune over to me and I will have a look at it and give you my .02

Naa.. I'm good.. I had it on a wideband and tuned it to a perfect 11.5/11.6 ;)

As for Steve-o. I forgot I put a drilled 180 in it. The exhaust system sucks ass on the regal. I had a 3.4, rockers, headers, SSIC and couldn't run a 3.4 until I put on a 3" exhaust :( (yes, tried every tuning thing in the world, it just wouldn't work). I'm just debating about throwing that on, or getting a 2.5" exhaust.

Naa.. I'm good.. I had it on a wideband and tuned it to a perfect 11.5/11.6 ;)

As for Steve-o. I forgot I put a drilled 180 in it. The exhaust system sucks ass on the regal. I had a 3.4, rockers, headers, SSIC and couldn't run a 3.4 until I put on a 3" exhaust :( (yes, tried every tuning thing in the world, it just wouldn't work). I'm just debating about throwing that on, or getting a 2.5" exhaust.

wow that is insane that with those mods you should be able to run a 3.0 pulley... i would say throw a 3.5 on it then and see what happens or just get a cheap cutout and only run the smaller pulley when you open the cutout...

wow that is insane that with those mods you should be able to run a 3.0 pulley... i would say throw a 3.5 on it then and see what happens or just get a cheap cutout and only run the smaller pulley when you open the cutout...

I have a cutout in the garage. I'm not going to get another one :).