bad egr valve

armin922

could a bad egr valve cause a car to feel like its going to stall and idle rough? a friend of mine is having that problem, they got it scanned and it said egr and im pretty sure they need a new egr valve. It feels like its gonna stall and when u acclerate it sounds like its hesitating.

so what exactly does an EGR do? what will happen if i just go trowas way and just disconnect it? Will it do anything bad besides the CEL being on?

I don't know exactly other then it recycles some of the exhaust air back into the engine for burning more fuel. It is some kind of environmental thing to get less Co2 into the air. The car will run fine without it hooked up you just usually get a CEL.

Guest Removed
so what exactly does an EGR do? what will happen if i just go trowas way and just disconnect it? Will it do anything bad besides the CEL being on?

it re recur exhaust gas's while your cruising.

not when the valve is stick open, you would have to block it off.

I just pulled the plastic tubing off the EGR that runs to the crank case and it fixed it for me. It can vent it out into the engine bay for all I care :(

The EGR takes the inert exhaust gas and re routes it back in the combustion chamer to reduce combustion temps lowering Nox emmissions

what kind of car/truck you refuring too?

the Gm 4.3's have normal EGR issues. that are easy repairs.

90% or more Ford's have some sort of EGR code in its history.

I haven't seen anyone mention that your fuel mileage will also suffer with out the egr working properly.

Mike