Nikon vs Canon

Guest tetsuo97z28

I have a Nikon D70 and the stock lense, a nikon wide angle, and a nikon VR zoom lens. I've enjoyed them quite a bit, and they've never given me an issue. I'm still learning with it, but even at my only somewhat experienced level I've produced many printworthy and even frameworthy images.

The D70 is discontinued, and the current models are much advanced, but I've never had one complaint about mine. I do need to clean the sensor, however.

I know there are some photographers on this board... So I wanted to get some advice about a DSLR Im looking at picking up... Its a Nikon D40x.... From the reviews that I read it seems to be a solid camera... Just wanted to see what everyone thought and the only downfall that I saw that it didnt have was an intergrated cleaning system... Wasnt sure if that was a big deal since the D40 doesnt have one built in.. But Ive seen some awesome phtography taken with the D40...

You can't go wrong with either. If however, you want to split hairs we could. In the end, if you can or can't shoot with one, the same will be true with the other. In rank, it's the photographer, the glass, then the body. Bodies will come and go. Select the lens system of preference.

However, I would suggest if you're looking at the lower end Nikon which runs through the D90 then look at the lower end Canon's that go through the Rebel Series and compare them in terms of menus and ergonomics.

Do you plan on shooting just everyday family stuff or are you looking to do some real creative flash stuff? Splitting hairs Nikon has better metering in terms of flash.

Compare prices and lens options in the range you're looking at. Canon has a better line up of Glass for generally better costs. Especially in terms of higher end or sports usage. Ever see a sporting event and notice the white lenses...those are my Canon buddies shooting L-lenses....the good stuff.

I've shot both with a Nikon D200 in the day but am Canon all the way now. PM me with any specifics if you wish.

I'm no camera expert, or even a novice for that matter, but, I've heard that lenses for Nikons are more expensive than those for Canons due to the location of the drive motor (or something like that). Something about the drive motor being located in the lens for Nikons, and in the body for Canons. i.e. Everytime you buy a lens for a Nikon you are paying for a new drive motor as well.

This is just something I've heard, and have no evidence one way or the other. Take it with a grain of salt.

I'm no camera expert, or even a novice for that matter, but, I've heard that lenses for Nikons are more expensive than those for Canons due to the location of the drive motor (or something like that). Something about the drive motor being located in the lens for Nikons, and in the body for Canons. i.e. Everytime you buy a lens for a Nikon you are paying for a new drive motor as well.

This is just something I've heard, and have no evidence one way or the other. Take it with a grain of salt.

You got the drive motor configuration backwards. Its in the camera on the Nikons and the lens itself in the canons. Nikons charging more for less because they can at the moment.

That brings up a good point though. If you go with a D40 (might be other models too) you get stuck with a camera that can't use the pro lenses.

You got the drive motor configuration backwards. Its in the camera on the Nikons and the lens itself in the canons. Nikons charging more for less because they can at the moment.

That brings up a good point though. If you go with a D40 (might be other models too) you get stuck with a camera that can't use the pro lenses.

True. The D40 -60's don't an internal focus drive motor and hence no mechanical focus drive pin. They instead only have the CPU contacts which means it can only Auto Focus with AF-S and AF-I lenses ....ie, the ones with built-in focus motors.

Some will argue that this is comparable to Canons limitation where the EF-S lenses only work on crop bodies vs full frame units. I however don't mind because the EF-S lenses, especially the 10-24 and the 17-55 IS f/2.8 are stellar in terms of optics and better than the lower end Nikon counterparts.

Nikon chose to go after the customer buy marketing cheaper priced SLR's. Somewhat like razors and razor blades. Once the buyer is on board, they often won't leave.

I and many others would like to see Canon update their focusing systems on the pro bodies.

I decided against going with the EF-S set and recently picked up a 16-35L II 2.8 and 70-200L 2.8. The 16-35 is especially impressive as it can take a 16mm shot with almost no barrel distortion even indoors.

I and many others would like to see Canon update their focusing systems on the pro bodies.

Hence the reason I stick with my 1DMKII. 95% of the D3 ability for $3k less money. I have zero issues with it although I do love the D3.

I decided against going with the EF-S set and recently picked up a 16-35L II 2.8 and 70-200L 2.8. The 16-35 is especially impressive as it can take a 16mm shot with almost no barrel distortion even indoors.

Nice lens the 16-35 is. I don't shoot WA much though, thus I only use the 10-24 on the 40D when outdoors.

Nice lens the 16-35 is. I don't shoot WA much though, thus I only use the 10-24 on the 40D when outdoors.

Yeah pretty much good for outdoor landscapes and indoor group shots at weddings for me.

On 35mm it does really well for portraits in a tight room too though.