Very specific Fbody question: Stock Top Speed

Science Abuse

Not trap speed, not electronically limited top speed.

How fast can has a stock WS6 gone when let off the leash? (assuming the 2002 WS6 is the fastest Fbody ever made.)

Not how fast do you think it can go, I'm looking for a documented case where some one actually wound it out and found out how fast it could go when unhinged.

So the "165mph top speed" is the actual top speed, no top speed limiter?

Many thanks.

On paper its 160 since thats where the speedo stops, but people have reached almost 165 in it. Here's a link.. My friend got his up to 163.7 on his gps (I edited the 164 to 163).

http://www.fast-musclecars.com/muscle_cars/Firebird_transam_ws6.php

Mine when stock with the limiter removed had 2.73 gears and a 4L60e, it buried the speedo well past 160 in 3rd gear. Starkmaster03 was riding shotgun, he can attest to it. We ran out of road and had to quit but it was still accelerating. I bought my car in Germany by the way and played on the autobahn before bringing it home.

I've heard stories of mid 170's with the limiter off but have no way to be sure.

Limiters set them around 162 unless you had the non z-rated tires from factory. Then you were stuck around 115 on the limiter. A friend had one like that

Is there any place around here that has a top end strip like the texas mile etc????

Yes, I-270 on the east side. :)

The only thing I've heard about that is like that occurs in Michigan at Wurtsmith Ex-Airforce base. Some tuner shop gets ahold of the runway for a day, charges you outthe ass to tear down here and be clocked by radar. This is not a consistent event, though, and I'll have to look into it.

The Maysville 7 mil oval at TRC is supposedly available for rent, something like $10,000/day.

I'm asking because I'm looking for examples to back up aero vs HP, and how the formet is more important than the latter. I'm comparing the 325hp WS6 to the 280 hp Mark VIII with less drag.

Yes, I-270 on the east side. :)

The only thing I've heard about that is like that occurs in Michigan at Wurtsmith Ex-Airforce base. Some tuner shop gets ahold of the runway for a day, charges you outthe ass to tear down here and be clocked by radar. This is not a consistent event, though, and I'll have to look into it.

The Maysville 7 mil oval at TRC is supposedly available for rent, something like $10,000/day.

I'm asking because I'm looking for examples to back up aero vs HP, and how the formet is more important than the latter. I'm comparing the 325hp WS6 to the 280 hp Mark VIII with less drag.

If we can get 20 people to pay $500 I see an epic event in CR's future!

All the reading I have found all say between 160 and 165. It would be safe to assume mid 170's is doable depending on outside conditions. I do know when I tried to peg my speedo (in mexico) the front end started to lift... some scary stuff.