Audi guys step in...

Snowflake

I would be highly suspicious of the car considering the cheapest one on autotrader is 7k. High mileage, needs windshield and alignment at minimum.

Transmissions are problematic, and expensive to fix. Maint records are key. If there aren't any, I would run away because german cars can get EXPENSIVE if your trying to clean up someone elses negligence.

I would spent 3k on something else.

+1 It sounds like a great deal on the surface. Have him ensure that he has another $3500 for a tranny, at the very least a TC R/R.

Unless the TC has been replaced already and he has proof, it is about to, or will go any time. This applies to the 2.7 & 4.2, but it usually happens quicker on the 4.2. There is an updated TC that was installed in 04 that gets retrofitted into the broken ones.

My 2.7 Made it to about 75K before the TC took a shit (under warranty).

I would be highly suspicious of the car considering the cheapest one on autotrader is 7k. High mileage, needs windshield and alignment at minimum.

Transmissions are problematic, and expensive to fix. Maint records are key. If there aren't any, I would run away because german cars can get EXPENSIVE if your trying to clean up someone elses negligence.

I would spent 3k on something else.

what he says...i would drive it and get the trans hto and see how it acts, not just spin it around the block.

seems to cheap

Hes going to look at it right now. I told him about the tranny issues and he said when he was talking to the owner the owner said he just had the tranny inspected and it was only half a quart low. He also said the owner says the engines takes 9 quarts of oil???

Im going to call him and make sure he drives it more than just around the block.

Thanks guys

Hes going to look at it right now. I told him about the tranny issues and he said when he was talking to the owner the owner said he just had the tranny inspected and it was only half a quart low. He also said the owner says the engines takes 9 quarts of oil???

Im going to call him and make sure he drives it more than just around the block.

Thanks guys

I hope he can provide a record of the transmission "inspection". They don't have a dipstick, and there is a very specific way of checking and replacing the fluid.None of the typical Meineke or common service stations would do it properly.

I would run as far as you can, especially if he does not do his own work, or if this is his first euro car, he will get a rude awakening. You could not pay me to buy that, it is beyond the "danger zone" which is any mileage past 60K. If they have maintenance records out the butt, which is not probable, I would not consider it.

Audi's of that era are borderline affordable for a mechanic. Most guys at the shop love to drive them, but after seeing what they need to kep them running both well kept ones and not well kept ones, they would not own one personally.

Just my .02