clutch replacement

jeffro

so ive currently got the transmission out of the stang because its broken again. this time im thinkin of doing a clutch install since its out. ive got a used king cobra clutch in the garage that id like to put it. my question is im not sure if the life of the king cobra clutch is greater than the remaining life of the stock clutch. how can you tell? and another question i have is what about the alignment tool? do i have to use one? does anyone have one i can borrow?

thanks in advance guys,

jeff

Question #1. You could use a caliper to measure the thickness of each clutch plate vs the original (new) thickness. This should give you an idea of the % Used/Left. But, you would need to take into account the pad material and wear characteristics of each to have an idea which would last longer.

Personally, I would never put a used clutch plate in a car.

Question #2 You don't absolutely need the alignment tool, but I'd highly recommend it. Even if you get the transmission mated up eventually, you'll more than likely fuck up the pilot bearing. do you want to pull and reinstall the trans. twice?

this.

altho i have had some goods luck using low mileage ones. make sure you have the flywheel turned and rough up the pressure plate real good. but knowing its a used clutch, you are always running that risk

Edited by Removed

Question #1. You could use a caliper to measure the thickness of each clutch plate vs the original (new) thickness. This should give you an idea of the % Used/Left. But, you would need to take into account the pad material and wear characteristics of each to have an idea which would last longer.

Question #2 You don't absolutely need the alignment tool, but I'd highly recommend it. Even if you get the transmission mated up eventually, you'll more than likely fuck up the pilot bearing. do you want to pull and reinstall the trans. twice?

this is the second time ive had to pull the tranny in less than 2 months. i thought about replacing the clutch the flirst time but didnt have the funds. from the looks of this clutch it seems to have alot of life left. the person i baught it from said it only had 5k miles on it. i can take pics when i go out to the garage.