2005 Subaru Wrx and 2.5RS

armin922

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

wrx or go home.

the 2.5 will never be able to make any real power and don't kid yourself and think you won;t want more.

the ej205 is a wonderful motor that properly taken care of will take some major abuse and last a long time. Run the right oil and have a good tune and there are quite a few 300whp cars that have made it to 200K

I have 104K on mine and it's making 335whp daily beaten. I just drove it to the smokey mountains and back 0 problems.

If you look at a modded one make sure its modded properly and the cars not a nightmare waiting. Ask to data log the car if you really consider one.

i know the guys over there, give me a call at 614-582-7301 if they hassle you about test driving it, sometimes they do. If its there, you should be all good as long as its a certified subaru. If it isnt, shoot me a text, my name is Michael, i can find out what was done to the car before it came to the dealerships, something the dealership doesnt have to tell you. Again, dont hesitate to call, i may be able to get you some money off too, just say i sent you in.

trannies and the clutch go quick.

If the previous owner didn't know how to drive....

My WRX has 120K miles on the "glass" 02 transmission and it's fine. From late 03 and on, the WRXs have a beefier trans. It's not as good as the STI 6-speed, but it's still strong enough.

Pop the hood and see if it's been modded. If it has an intake other than the SPT intake, or an aftermarket BOV, I'd probably keep looking.

broken ass piles of shit

lets see...

clutches have short lives (30 - 40k usually)

radiators go at about 120k

occasional ball joints

random boost leaks/exhaust leaks

factory boost controller can die

I know I had way more problems than that with mine, I can't remember what all

biggest POS I ever owned, I'll never own another subaru thanks to that car. Thorne will even tell you it was one of the best shifting WRX's he'd ever driven. It was still a giant pile of fuck that I should have simply burned to the ground.

broken ass piles of shit

lets see...

clutches have short lives (30 - 40k usually)

radiators go at about 120k

occasional ball joints

random boost leaks/exhaust leaks

factory boost controller can die

I know I had way more problems than that with mine, I can't remember what all

biggest POS I ever owned, I'll never own another subaru thanks to that car. Thorne will even tell you it was one of the best shifting WRX's he'd ever driven. It was still a giant pile of fuck that I should have simply burned to the ground.

hmmm now u have me thinking twice. Is that just the wrx's. Or are the 2.5RS like that as well.

Copperhead bought his cheap as fuck and it was most likely abused before he bought it, it was in a wreck of some sort all down one side of the car. Funny how he doesn't mention that.

Radiator fine

Clutch like the day I bought it

No ball joint issues

No boost leaks

Still have the factory boost controller

Oh did I mention the above is my wife's stock WRX Wagon Daily driven since Dec 04. Never put anything in it but Oil, fluids, brakes, air filters and a battery. Hell she still uses the stock Spark Plugs it came with, gets almost 400 Miles per tank to this day. Never even had warranty work done. She has close to 90k on the car and drives more than me. We are going to do timing belt and stuff soon. Car will be paid off in a couple months and will drive well over 200k miles the next 5 years.

My STI is 70k and I have only put brakes, oil, gas, fluids, a battery and air filters on it, Dynoed at IPS at 300awhp and 320tq (Pro Tuned by Tim Bailey). Daily driven, with my 2Yo in it every day. Oh I had both rear struts replaced under warranty long ago no issues anymore with those. Owned since Aug 04, only owner.

http://www.columbusdiscgolf.com/IMAGES/TintedCarsSig.jpg

Can't think of a better daily driver with some go for Ohio weather.

Hint: Don't buy a busted up $9K car back when good used ones were $15K, you get what you pay for.

Edited by Benjamin

What is your goal or plan for the car?

If you just want a reliable A-B car for Ohio Weather, and could care less about power. Go RS, it would be cheap and more reliable as there will be less stress on the drive line and no turbo.

If you want to mod a daily: go WRX, but tranny can become an issue. with the extra power. Remember my wife's car is bone stock. (truthfully I would rather recommend a used STI for modding, much better drive line for modifications) Well worth the extra $$.

see this is where it kills me. I want a car thats good in the snow which both are and with them both being AWD it will be fun and i know will be funner with the wrx. But i want good gas mileage which the RS has and reliability. But with the WRX, i can mod it and it will be a fun daily as well. DECISIONS DECISIONS

see this is where it kills me. I want a car thats good in the snow which both are and with them both being AWD it will be fun and i know will be funner with the wrx. But i want good gas mileage which the RS has and reliability. But with the WRX, i can mod it and it will be a fun daily as well. DECISIONS DECISIONS

If you want to mod, the RS is not even a choice. :confused:

What is good gas milage to you? My wifes WRX wagon is like 27 highway. I get 20-22 Highway with my STI. I can't stress enough that if you want to mod, the STI is a much better platform to start from from a reliability standpoint.

It also depends on your budget, I haven't seen many STI's under 20k honestly...unless its modded/beat to shit or has high miles, so you have to take that into consideration as well.

But yeah, don't kid yourself about buying an RS if you are even remotely interested in modding the thing.

AWD would be fun, but definitely not necessary for Ohio winters, and yet you would have to suffer with the decreased MPG for the remaining 11.5months that you didn't use the AWD, lol.

I'd get a WRX or bust, or consider the two car thing?

I bought a 98 4dr auto civic that was clean and stock for $2500, I average 33mpg with 50/50 city/hwy driving, and 38mpg all hwy. Then I bought an 88 Mazda RX7 for a toy. Best of both worlds, plus no car payments.

Oh yeah, if I had the coin and was going to get a newish Subaru, I'd definitely get a Forester XT manual, lots of cargo space, plus turbo/awd and I believe many parts interchange w/ the wrx/sti platform so lots of modding availabe. I have a soft spot for them tho...one day.

Oh yeah, if I had the coin and was going to get a newish Subaru, I'd definitely get a Forester XT manual, lots of cargo space, plus turbo/awd and I believe many parts interchange w/ the wrx/sti platform so lots of modding availabe. I have a soft spot for them tho...one day.

Are you a dyke? Only Dykes drive those. I'm pretty sure Subaru makes you prove it at the time your signature is required to complete the purchase. :D

haha ben, no ever since i saw a mag a few years back w/ one w/ all sti suspension goodies and like a 20g, on some nice 18's, i was hooked. Plus w/ 2 kids it fits the bill perfectly w/ hauling bikes/wagon/crap LOL. but thanks for the nod. ;)

Ben covered it with not modding the RS. The WRX is what it is and you need to know what you really want.

Here's what I offer. I have a 99 2.5 Legacy GT (they are NA). The car has 142,000 miles on it. I have had it for 100,000 of those miles. 5000 miles ago, I replaced the head gasket. This is a catostrofic (spelling?) pain in the ass and runs $2100 at a dealership. Yup that sucks. That said, I fucking love my car. That is the only problem o have had with it and it's common. I knew it was a matter of time. Fine, now it done and over with. The 2.5 is not a motor to try and get power out of. Maintain it and it will be fun and reliable. My car has been to Vermont several times in the winter. I pray for bad weather. Put good tires on the car and you will have a long, fun, and confident driving car. I get 31 mpg highway with cruise set at 71. City I get 25ish. On days like today with the rain, I love the car even more as scared drivers with poor car preperation crawl down the road.

Cooperheads wrx was owned by a kid in Dublin and very well may have been abused. The kid did some cosmetic damage to avoid hitting a mom and her kid in the car in from of him. Sometime the money you say on the car is then reinvested later with issues. I would still own a WRX any day though.