10 bolt fail...

2 Sweet

It has traction control, but I sure wouldn't miss it if I didn't have it

if he rebuilds it he better hope he didn't spin the bearing race. it almost sounds like it did.

What happens if that's the case? More expensive?

Ah, ok then. I really have no clue how bad it is.

I drove it 15 miles to my dad's house where I'll be storing it for winter, and the noise/vibration didn't get any worse. I'm not sure if I'm better off replacing it or just having it rebuilt and maybe adding 3.73 or 4.10 gears. If I can't find a new rear for cheap over the winter I guess I'll have Gearhead see if it can be rebuilt, and just go from there

does it have traction control?

car-part.com has some listed

Mine is a 4 channel for TCS.

only issue with those is it takes different gears then a 3 series carrier.

Get the thick gears

But you can swap the carriers out or buy the thicker two-series gears for 3.42+

This ^

I was gonna keep this 2.73 one and rebuild it with a set of thick 4.10's to try out. After doing the math though, with spray I think 4.10's might be too much for a 26" tire.

Guest Removed

Get the thick gears

I was gonna keep this 2.73 one and rebuild it with a set of thick 4.10's to try out. After doing the math though, with spray I think 4.10's might be too much for a 26" tire.

thick gears or not. the damn pinion gear is still too damn small.

spray always hates 4.10's

i have never paid more than 100 dollars for a 3.42 geared junk ten bolt. they are cheap down here and in the northern ky area. gl with the fix, i wouldn't mess with trying to fix it. you will spend at least 200+ on the parts and then paying someone to set it up will put you right at about the price you would pay if you over paid on a good working ten bolt. up to you but i learned my lesson once from fucking with a ten bolt..... dont waste your time, just get another used one for cheap.

• 3 weeks later...

I still haven't given it much thought yet, because winter is coming and I have no money anyway. However, based off the little amount of knowledge I have, I think my best bet is to replace it with a 12-bolt. But I refuse to spend $2500 on a new one seeing as how I'm broke and in enough debt already. I'm hoping when I get my tax return I'll come across a used one for sale that isn't in Texas or Cali or somewhere way across the country.

Seeing as how I plan on keeping this car for a LONG time, I don't know if I can justify sticking with a 10-bolt because it will probably just break again. It just seems like throwing money down the drain. I just need to do some research about splines and spools and all that shit, I have no idea what any of it means. I still haven't done any research yet on ls1tech or anywhere. But at this point, I'm thinking that if I can get lucky and find a used one over the winter that I can afford, hopefully I can upgrade to a 12-bolt. Unless I find a complete 10-bolt w/ 3.42+ for DIRT cheap.

Thoughts? Opinions? Advice?

Read this:

http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com/performance_parts/index.html?item=145

I'm sorta in the same boat. Mine isn't dead yet, but I'm sure it will be at some point. I have no clue which rear I'm going to get yet.

Actually, it was your thread on ls1tech that got me thinking about this again. I was briefly browsing the forums last night and read that whole thread. Unfortunately that is a little out of my price range :(

I feel your pain on the price. I'm going to wait until tax time as well. I know that I will be going with a 9" because I don't want to hear the 12 bolt gear noise. I just don't know what center section option to go with.

I'm not sure if you saw it, but in another thread on ls1tech, a sponsor had this to say:

The more splines, the stronger the axle. 35 spline axles will handle just about anything you're going to send their way.

A spool locks both axles together, all the time. It is the cheapest way to go, and is the strongest, but for a lot of street drivers they would not find a spool to be tolerable. Why? Think of what your tires do when you turn a corner, the outer tire needs to turn more revolutions than the inner tire. If it can't, they squirm and are forced to turn whether they want to or not. Usually this just results in accelerated tire wear. Most of my driving is rural and highway, so I can drive a car with a spool and hardly ever notice it.

I use to highly recommend the Eaton (use to be Detroit) Truetrac for up to 600 rwhp, but lately I have been having customers with some problems with them. I'm not sure if Eaton made some changes for the worse when they bought them out, but I never had any problems with the Truetrac until this year. They still have a good track record, but I wouldn't recommend one if you're going to spray nitrous. The Truetrac can only be had with 28 or 31 spline axles.

The locker is a very strong unit that can handle a lot of power. It isn't much more than a Truetrac and can be had with 35 spline axles. It does have some negatives to it though. The locker can cause the back of the car to wiggle around when you let off the gas, as it doesn't always unlock each axle at the same time. It doesn't happen with every car, but I've driven one that did. I remember that I got out of the car and made sure the rear was still bolted in, it felt that strange. If you get a good one if will do everything you want it to.

The Wavetrac is relatively new and is more ($460 more) expensive, but it comes with a limited lifetime warranty. 35 spline axles can be had with it, and so far I haven't hear anything bad about it.

Guest Removed

moser now has a locking diff that has a life time warranty on it...they have been pushing 1100rwhp thru one and havent broke it yet..but the diff is 999.99 msrp..granted i sell them cheaper then that.

but you can pick up a housing and axle package, then toss in your own built center section down the road.

The link I posted in post #38 is about the wavetrac. I haven't seen any reviews on ls1tech about it. Lots of people are asking about it. A sponsor is going to run one at the track tomorrow night in a GTO making 809 rwhp.

Hopefully he'll post the results up aftward.

Don't buy online, buy local. I had major issues with Driveline Solutions, a sponsor of LS1tech.com. My 9" had major noise, long story short, guy didn't want to fix it and had it redone locally. Cost me another $600 to get rebuilt. It's better but still makes some noise which I'm not to happy about it, but at this point at least it's liveable.

If you want to know more, give me a call.

Bill

Don't buy online, buy local. I had major issues with Driveline Solutions, a sponsor of LS1tech.com. My 9" had major noise, long story short, guy didn't want to fix it and had it redone locally. Cost me another $600 to get rebuilt. It's better but still makes some noise which I'm not to happy about it, but at this point at least it's liveable.

If you want to know more, give me a call.

Bill

Thanks Bill, I'll keep that in mind. Sorry again to hear about the problems you've had with the 9 inch. I'm hoping I'll come across a used one for a good price at some point early next year, whenever I get the money from my tax return