10 bolt fail...

2 Sweet

Driving to work this morning on 270 and I start to hear a loud grinding noise, pull over and smell something funny, and take a look under the car. I see gear oil all over the rear diff. There is play in the driveshaft where it goes into the rear. Fucking great.

Blown pinion is my guess? It still drives but who knows for how much longer. I am broke and unfortunately cannot afford a 12 bolt or 9 inch. Should I replace the pinion and gears or just replace the whole rear? Car is a 98 z28 6speed with 3.42 gears. How much should I expect to pay for a used 10 bolt? Thanks in advance

Welcome to the club, good luck fixing it. If you can find a decent used one that would be cool, but I'd get the Jeg's brand ring & pinion plus install kit and throw that into it. If you can't do it yourself PM Gearhead he'd be about your best option for an affordable rebuild.

Guest Removed

yes, this way i can add to the pile of broken 10 bolt parts..........

IMO, get a 9" or 12 bolt and call it a day! but, if funds are tight like you stated on OC, then i would just fixx this one(maybe just a nose bearing), or toss another stocker in it for now, then upgrade later.

Thanks guys. Yeah the first thing I did was send Rob a PM asking how much it would cost.

Today I have been searching for a complete 10-bolt to swap in and can't find shit for cheap, so it looks like I'll just get this POS rebuilt until I can one day afford something stronger.

Thanks guys. Yeah the first thing I did was send Rob a PM asking how much it would cost.

Today I have been searching for a complete 10-bolt to swap in and can't find shit for cheap, so it looks like I'll just get this POS rebuilt until I can one day afford something stronger.

Thats the boat I've been in for the past few years, hopefully I can come up with the money by spring because I'm not going to rebuild mine again.

Guest Removed
I see a few a week, normally three-channel. But they do come around pretty often.

you might see a few a week, but would you really drive to texas to get a 10 bolt for 200?

eerr wait...you might :p

Guest Removed
the only one i'd be willing to let go is 2.73 geared and you can barely give those away.

only issue with those is it takes different gears then a 3 series carrier.