Audio/Video computer problem

El Karacho1647545492

Ok so the other night while my computer was running the power in the house flashed off then back on. I rebooted the computer and had no video. So I do everything I know how to do and basically figure that my Radeon x1650 is dead. Replace that with my old HD2400 series card and that seems to work. Sure its not as awesome, but I don't really care, its good enough to support my monitor's capabilities.

Then I notice my sound is out. I had been using the sound from my mobo which uses some crappy Intel Audio Studio to control everything. I try to reinstall drivers, make sure all cables are working (DVI was fine with video, speaker cable works fine), nothing helps. So I just got back from microcenter with a generic brand sound card, install that to the PCI slot, install the drivers from the provided CD, and I still have no sound. WTF? Is this a problem with the mobo?

Oh and all power cords were plugged into a surge suppressor which did not trip during the power outage.

Could be a motherboard issue if not enough power was supplied to the computer during the brown out. I suggest you try the sound card in a friend's working computer to rule out your motherboard. Also you might want to invest in buying a UPS instead of your surge protector. It cleans the power going into your equipment. Also if you do have a brown out it switches to battery and won't damage your equipment. They are expensive but worth the money.