In the market for a watch?

Science Abuse

This has me in an odd position: Knowing that a tourillon is a waste of tech on a wristwatch, yet also having a hard-on for the mechanism, and only being able to afford cheapass representations.

What's a guy to do?

by a nice Fossil watch.

http://www.fossil.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/SearchResultsView?Ne=30&Ntt=watches&Ntk=FossilSearchEn&langId=-1&storeId=12052&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&N=4294958415&catalogId=10052&categoryId=30000

I'm trying to sell a watch that's nicer than those. :p

http://www.columbusracing.com/forums/showthread.php?t=72400

Funny thing about the sub-$500 watch market: Anything that has decent features tends to be gaudy as hell: I guess they figure that anyone only willing to spend $250 on a dress watch is some punter who wants to be flashy. :cool:

Example: A 65mm wristwatch

Sad thing: I actually like this, and I would buy it... if it weren't such a horrible knock-off. They couldn't even come up with their own name, just a mis-spelled Minerva. I like the look and the mechanism, and reveiws say they don't suck... but damnit the name is dumb, why cant they just keep their own name and take some pride in what they can do?

i would never wear a watch with a leather strap, period. fuck that. metal bands FTW.

and fossil watches FTW...ive got like 4-5 of them. the only thing im realizing i dont like about them is the batteries only last a little over a year. i was in the store at easton a couple months ago looking for something new and everything they had i hated. i like a simple watch (ie, not something super busy on the face), with a casing thas NOT the size of a dinner plate

I don't see the point to high-dollar watches.

And I don't see a point to turbocharged sedans. ;)

I'm a mechanical guy, I like machines, and to me, those things are works of art. So, being art, they don't really have a point. There are much cheaper watches that keep better time and are waterproof et al.... but they don't have a 3 axis tourbillon, which is something I could stare at all day:

The Patek isn't really my cup'o'tea, because everything is hidden. I'm not buying a hyper-expensive mechanism that I can't see.

You could have gotten a Subaru GL for 1/10th the price of your car, why didn't you? ;)

The C1 has something like that also. Definitely cool.

The difference between the watch and a car is that whereas a cheap watch and an expensive watch both tell the time, the expensive one doesn't really do it any better. However an expensive sportscar will drive better than a cheap one.

Granted, this is ignoring the "art" aspect of a watch. While I enjoy some art, and appreciate most of it, I don't get enough enjoyment from it to justify paying for it. But cars on the other hand; I get enough enjoyment from the difference between an auto econobox and a sportscar to justify the difference in price.

When a watch becomes the same price as a car, I'll choose the car every time since it has more use than the watch.

The difference between the watch and a car is that whereas a cheap watch and an expensive watch both tell the time, the expensive one doesn't really do it any better. However an expensive sportscar will drive better than a cheap one.

Actually, they kind-of do. The thing is, the variance that you're measuring is so small that it'd take two lifetimes to give a shit. ;)

And I can think of many examples of expensive cars that aren't as good as cheap cars. ;) A TVR doesn't drive better when it's broken, which it will be, often... but it is a work of art.

When a watch becomes the same price as a car, I'll choose the car every time since it has more use than the watch.

The cheapest watch I've ever bought was still about $5 more expensive than the cheapest running car I've ever bought, and that car was (is) awesome. :p

Actually, they kind-of do. The thing is, the variance that you're measuring is so small that it'd take two lifetimes to give a shit. ;)

HAHAHA :asshole:.

I'm going to use the "make an offer" button. $100.00. Take it or leave it.

And I can think of many examples of expensive cars that aren't as good as cheap cars. ;) A TVR doesn't drive better when it's broken, which it will be, often... but it is a work of art.

I wouldn't own a TVR, but I would a STI. :)

Although that Sagaris is just awesome. There are a couple cars that are pure eye-sex. The TVR Sagaris is like a rough tumble while the Aston Martin DB9 is like a slow, all-nighter..

But I'd still drive the hell out of them.