Verizon employees / those in the know - current tricks to cancel contract w/ out fee?

Nitrousbird

My wife and I have the basic phone package together, no texting/insurance/data plan, for about $72 a month after tax (she gets a discount through work).

Well, AT&T is offering a MUCH better deal. 2 lines + data plans for $99/month. A ton of her co-workers have done it recently; they buy 2 iPhones for $199/each and only pay $99 to have the service.

I want. But our contract with Verizon doesn't expire until some time next year (between Feb and April IIRC).

I want out without paying the cancel fee. What are the current tricks to escape. I've been happy with Verizon's service, and though I'm no Apple fan, the price is too good to pass up.

Get Verizon's map of coverage. Find an area in the country that doesn't have service. Find a house that is for sale in that area and is on some kind of website that they can look at (reator.com works). Tell them you are closing soon and when you are at the showing of the house and all throughout town there is no service period. Expect to spend a lot of time on the phone but they should cancel your service with no fees.

Well... if you're military you can work out the "just got orders!" scenario. I had to use that once back when I was active duty... and I faked it after I left when we had to prematurely move to avoid fees with a lease.

Apart from that I understand it is fairly difficult to get out of that...

Have fun with the AT&T network, better price or not. My work phone is AT&T and between it and Verizon, Verizon always wins out.

Good luck.

Fuck taht. Up where I live, I had verizon for years, no service in the hospital basement....now with At&t full service everywhere in the hospital...wierd, i know.

tmobile has been good to me. solid phone, good coverage, and fairly cheap. ive dropped my phone countless times and never seems to be bothered by it. i used to be a cerizon customer and was calling them every month about unwanted charges to my bill.

The cancellation charge is pro-rated. Vzw charges i believe $250 to cancel a new contract. My 14 month old contract cost me $110 to get out if. Yours will be even less. And I'm totally happy with the service. Never dropped a call, never not had service.

Get Verizon's map of coverage. Find an area in the country that doesn't have service. Find a house that is for sale in that area and is on some kind of website that they can look at (reator.com works). Tell them you are closing soon and when you are at the showing of the house and all throughout town there is no service period. Expect to spend a lot of time on the phone but they should cancel your service with no fees.

Friend did that.. you have to show proof of residency. You would have to get a newb on the phone to get out of it without proof... especially with how crazy companies are about lost revenue these days.

That is a nice deal. It may be worth it to just pay the cancellation fees if you only have a few months left.... btw the cancellation fees start at $175 but do go down over time.. not sure by how much though.

- Verizon is $175 per line to cancel, and goes down $5/month.

- Most of the guys my wife works with have iPhones. Most of them live in northern Columbus and don't complain.

- I am positive Verizon has better service and coverage. That said, I don't use my phone that much, and Verizon is costing more than it is worth now days.

From what I can tell, I need to wait for them to do another price hike, then that is my ticket out.

Verizon has a new phone called the Hero... it's been dubbed the iPhone killer... it's VERY much like the iPhone, we got a few the other day at work and it's pretty sweet. and it's open source so software, etc... is readily available for it.

Friend did that.. you have to show proof of residency. You would have to get a newb on the phone to get out of it without proof... especially with how crazy companies are about lost revenue these days.

That is a nice deal. It may be worth it to just pay the cancellation fees if you only have a few months left.... btw the cancellation fees start at $175 but do go down over time.. not sure by how much though.

photoshop it?

that's a CRAZY deal Joe! My wife works for Chase and gets a better discount than the AT&T employees and it was still going to be $130/month for the two of us with data and text plans.

My wife also works for Chase. Serveral of her co-workers she works with daily (all techies...well, so is she) have gotten this $99/deal.