ONSTAR used to stop car chase.

thorne

The right to confront your accuser. Unless we're really going to consider an object a person, then that's cool.

The box isn't the accuser...it's hard evidence in a court of law. Good as being caught on tape robbing 7/11. The camera isn't an accuser, it's the proof showing your actions.

How would their speed even matter at that point? They commited vehicular manslaughter because they were drunk. She could have gone ten miles an hour and caught the poor guy bending over with a fender to the dome. He's still dead she's still drunk.

I don't recall all the details, I just remember what I shared. However, in the case of a car accident, it would completely matter. If my 17yr old turned up in a wreck dead and his buddy was found to have been speeding or driving reckless, then that box would most certainly matter.

My point was it's just another technology and it all has a good and bad side. I personally think the good is negated. You can decide on your own.

I see your point, but don't hold the fact that "big brother" can and will now hold someone accountable for their actions as a bad thing. It's the lack of accountability and people using "rights" and "loopholes" to get out of accountability that's bad.

The box isn't the accuser...it's hard evidence in a court of law. Good as being caught on tape robbing 7/11. The camera isn't an accuser, it's the proof showing your actions.

I don't know how that would differentiate in court but I will take a gander and say it will. By hearing an audio tape or watching a video you are experiencing something pretty much first-hand. A box converting code into a readable text/graph/whatever witnessed that action - you are interpreting it as best you can. And I'm speaking for an incident that involves no witness but the box, just to clarify.

I don't recall all the details, I just remember what I shared. However, in the case of a car accident, it would completely matter. If my 17yr old turned up in a wreck dead and his buddy was found to have been speeding or driving reckless, then that box would most certainly matter.

Understandable, that is one of the reasons I would be pro-for.

I see your point, but don't hold the fact that "big brother" can and will now hold someone accountable for their actions as a bad thing. It's the lack of accountability and people using "rights" and "loopholes" to get out of accountability that's bad.

And I see yours, good argument.

As much as I don't want to give anyone the ability to "check in" on me doing anything, I can't really argue against OnStar. Driving isn't a right; monitor it all they need... I guess :(

But, as long as there are other manufacturer cars that don't do this, I'll shop elsewhere.