99 Cobra - On3 Turbo vs Vortech Supercharger

DTM Brian

No need to get defensive. I know what your car made before. I used to see it at the track way back then. I'm just saying that it seems like everyone and their brother is knocking blower cars lately and it makes me laugh. I would have liked to have ridden in your car before it blew to see how it felt in comparison to some of the other blower cars running around. I guess I'll have to wait for the built version of it :)

Not trying to knock s/c cars, but if I would go S/C I would use a KB or Eaton TVS. Centrifugal S/C don't make sense to me unless it's in a FWD setup where you might want power to build progressively for torque steer or traction reasons.

If the turbo is properly sized you should be back at full boost after a shift at redline. Hopefully you're gearing's not so high that a shift puts you back under the boost threshold.

Turbo cars from what I've seen always have impressive trap speed but don't et that well in stick cars anyway. I think I'll stick with a blower on mine for that reason.

my car was on just over 1psi more when it blew up and was done just at the 1000' mark. I trapped almost 3mph faster than the best with my Novi2k and 2/10th's faster. Not trying to stir it up I just dont think that is completely true

Not trying to knock s/c cars, but if I would go S/C I would use a KB or Eaton TVS. Centrifugal S/C don't make sense to me unless it's in a FWD setup where you might want power to build progressively for torque steer or traction reasons.

If the turbo is properly sized you should be back at full boost after a shift at redline. Hopefully you're gearing's not so high that a shift puts you back under the boost threshold.

Im with you completely on that one, I loved the way the Magnuson made power on my old TBSS compared to how the Cobra made boost with the Novi2k. Neither of my 4.6 cars have issues staying in boost after shifts, its pretty much always there

If all goes well at work over the winter i would like to upgrade to a Ysi and crank the boost up. If this happens I would like to go deep into the nines and still be a stick:D Now back to the thread at hand lol.

• 4 weeks later...

Turbos are flat out more efficient at making power. How do you say that you would rather have a centrifugal S/C over a turbo? I would own a roots style S/C or turbo, never a centrifugal S/C and on top of that the only reason to ever run a roots blower over a turbo is for that instant low end punch.

To say a turbo car at a lower psi than a blower setup puts more stress on a connecting rod is just crazy.

Turbos use HP to make HP just as S/C, just in a different way. One is driven off the crank and one is driven using back pressure. Both put different stresses on the motor and have different affects. But flat out if both the S/C and turbo are sized properly the turbo setup will make more HP and more torque at the same boost levels.

Also as mallard stated look at the area under the curve... That is the usable power.

Guest Removed
Turbos are flat out more efficient at making power. How do you say that you would rather have a centrifugal S/C over a turbo? I would own a roots style S/C or turbo, never a centrifugal S/C and on top of that the only reason to ever run a roots blower over a turbo is for that instant low end punch.

To say a turbo car at a lower psi than a blower setup puts more stress on a connecting rod is just crazy.

Turbos use HP to make HP just as S/C, just in a different way. One is driven off the crank and one is driven using back pressure. Both put different stresses on the motor and have different affects. But flat out if both the S/C and turbo are sized properly the turbo setup will make more HP and more torque at the same boost levels.

Also as mallard stated look at the area under the curve... That is the usable power.

higher cylinder pressures and hotter temps stress the pistons and the rods more in a turbo car. due to the back pressure making horse power.