Changed My Front Hub, MAJOR Noise Now, Need Help...

Wease

I replaced my left front hub yesterday on my '05 Mountaineer. I get it all back together, take it for a test drive and something's not right. Something is rubbing or clunking and just not right. I noticed it first when I turned the wheel to pull out of my driveway. The vehicle even seems to lurch at times. I didn't go any faster than idle down my street, turned around and pulled back into my driveway and put it up on jackstands.

I can't figure it out. Everything is tight. I pulled the calipers off, the rotor, the hub, and put it all back on again. Tightened everything yet one more time, nothing is rubbing when I turn the wheel when it's up in the air. It seems fine. Also, it seems fine when the vehicle is in reverse, I hear no noise then. So I take it back out after re-doing everything today and it's still making noise. :mad: I bought these hubs per a thread on Explorer Forums. I double checked the box, it's the correct hub.

Any ideas? :(

make sure you didnt bend the thin metal backing plate behind the rotor.

take the caliper and rotor off, check the backing plate for shiny silver parts where its been rubbing, also inspect your brake pad hardware in case it slipped out of place.

make sure you didnt bend the thin metal backing plate behind the rotor.

take the caliper and rotor off, check the backing plate for shiny silver parts where its been rubbing, also inspect your brake pad hardware in case it slipped out of place.

I'll check it out, but it sounded worse than something just rubbing like that. I thought maybe I didn't have the axle meshed in right or something stupid, but no. I'll check it out tomorrow...

brake pads rubbing, something isnt tight....defective hub?

was it making noise before you changed it?

Other than the normal worn out wheel bearing noise, no.

So I gave up and had my mechanic I use occasionally take a look at it and he seems to think the ABS is screwed up somehow... :(

Guest Removed
Other than the normal worn out wheel bearing noise, no.

So I gave up and had my mechanic I use occasionally take a look at it and he seems to think the ABS is screwed up somehow... :(

that dont make sense unless the relucter ring is wrong or damaged...

If it only does it one way it sounds like you forgot to put a bolt in one end of the caliper bracket. Although you say you took it apart twice reason would believe that it would not have been left out.

Look at the rotating components when it is sitting on the ground, if the problem is when the vehicle is rolling setting it on jack stands is going to make things difficult to identify the problem. Look for metal shavings and shiney surfaces. Set the thing on the ground with the wheel turned and take a look, does it only do it turning one way or both?

The lurching/not going faster than idle is throwing me off.....

I read that as "...the car lurched sometimes. Because I knew there was a problem I purposefully didn't go past idel so I wouldn't go fast and damage something". Not "The car wouldn't go faster than idel."

I read that as "...the car lurched sometimes. Because I knew there was a problem I purposefully didn't go past idel so I wouldn't go fast and damage something". Not "The car wouldn't go faster than idel."

That is correct, I didn't go faster than idle because of the rubbing / clunking / whatever.

Guest Removed
Well, it was a bad bearing from the start. For some reason the ABS was coming on, etc. Have to send it back and get another one. Fuck me... :mad:

it happens some times...thats why i rather buy local, then order off line..sometimes it cheaper locally anyway