OK it's 10:30 am on Monday and I have been searching for the OSU/Michigan thread.

SpaceGhost

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm excited; I jumped in Mirror Lake wearing a bikini.

http://www.dispatch.com/live/content/local_news/stories/2009/11/18/mirror-lake-jump-urine.html?sid=101

Wee bit of pee in Mirror Lake after OSU jumps

Wednesday, November 18, 2009 8:43 PM

BY DOUG CARUSO

THE COLUMBUS DISPATCH

During the big Michigan Week jump, Ohio State University's Mirror Lake and a baby pool have a lot in common.

The jump, which will take place Thursday night, is one of many student traditions. But Ohio State also is a research university, so it was inevitable that someone would apply a little science to this ritual.

Last year, students in the College of Earth Sciences tested the water in Mirror Lake before, during and after thousands plunged in to psych themselves up for The Game.

"Interesting results from last year's study include a lake-wide temperature increase of approximately 3 degrees Fahrenheit during the course of the night and an ammonia spike around 1in the morning," said Steve Goldsmith, a postdoctoral research associate.

The temperature increase could be chalked up to warm-blooded people standing in a cold lake, Goldsmith said. But, yes, that ammonia spike means exactly what you think it means.

Urine.

"It went from a background of 5.2 parts per million to a peak of about 42 parts per million," Goldsmith said. "So it was an eightfold increase."

Claire Mondro, a senior majoring in geology and English, helped with the research last year and plans to jump in with her friends Thursday night.

"It's nothing dangerous," she said. "It's just kind of icky."

Then she'll dry off and take water samples around 2 a.m.

The project has grown this year. Goldsmith said the sampling will continue every half-hour into the wee hours of Friday morning, and biology students will test for bacteria and other microbes.

It's a fun project, said Anne Carey, an associate professor of earth sciences who is overseeing the research. But the students take it seriously.

"We treat this as rigorously as any other research study we've done on natural water bodies," she said.

Goldsmith said he doesn't want to stop anyone from jumping in, though he does advise taking a shower afterward.

"Have fun, but don't open your mouth."

I wouldn't tell too many people about your swim.

yeah I know, like the 95 season plus a few others in the 90's, I still think its gonna be a good game

I hope so. Dont get me wrong I love blowouts or at least comfy leads...but a good solid nail biter is always fun. People can say what they want about the Iowa game, but I had fun gluing myself to the TV.

For you Ohio State Fans you can read how important tomorrows game is to Michigan. They are pretty mad, and some of the paragraphs should make you OSU fans smile.

http://blog.mlive.com/thediag/2009/11/it.html

The questions have been posed.

Does Rich Rodriguez understand the Rivalry? Is Rich Rodriguez a Michigan Man? Is Rich Rodriguez even the right man for the job in Ann Arbor?

Those questions will take a new form come the final whistle of tomorrow's game against the Buckeyes. If Michigan wins against Tressel and the whole wine-cooler drinking bunch, Rodriguez will be here at least one more year. If he doesn't, well, some people feel he should be fired.

It's been 2191 days since the Michigan Wolverines have beat the Ohio State Buckeyes. That's a number that should be more prevalent than the 50-14 win that Bo Schembechler stamped all over the Michigan locker room after the Wolverines lost in 1968. A game where Woody Hayes went for a two-point conversion with the game in hand because they wouldn't let him go for three.

A game where Woody Hayes went for a two-point conversion with the game in hand because they wouldn't let him go for three.

I expect Jim to do the above tomorrow after all the criticism he has been getting lately. I think it will be 50+ and I will be amazed if Michigan scores 14. :D