Netflix now supports PS3

Nitrousbird

netflix.com/ps3

One less reason to own an Xbox 360 now.

PS3 could always stream Netflix if you had the PlayOn media server, but it was a PITA.

Now, Netflix supports it directly. I've watched a couple movies so far with it, and it works flawlessly. Picture quality is pretty decent - Full Metal Jacket and Shawshank Redemption are almost DVD quality.

Can you pick the movies right from the menu on the PS3 or do you have to start an Instant Queue from the website?

yeah, you still have to do this unfortunately, but if you update your regular netflix que regularly its not much of a hassle to put stuff in your instant que.

So I've messed with it a little more this morning:

- Though the disc looks/feels like a DVD, it can only be read by a Blu-ray drive.

- Disc is in a standard Blu-ray movie format; mt2s, all standard format folders

- Easily ripped to my PC hard drive with AnyDVD HD and my Blu-ray burner.

- 174mb total.

So sure, I can copy the stupid disc they sent me for free, but that doesn't do much for me. I can mount it as an ISO. PS3 Media Server will read ISO's, but you can only play the m2ts files, individually, with no menu support. Of course, the menu support is what you really need. You could copy the files to the PS3 hard drive, but the same result.

I'm now stuck at the point where I might be SOL, other than using the disc, unless I can find a media server that can play ISO's with menus (or any other container format with menus).

From what I read, the reason you have to use a disc is because of Microsoft's XBox deal with Netflix; it is good until late 2010, at which time there will be a PS3 firmware update and will no longer need the disc. The disc is a way to get around the Microsoft deal.

That's pretty interesting. MS needs to just f-- off already and stop trying its hardest to screw us PS3 users. Either come out with a better system or die. Quite trying to keep your POS on level ground through underhanded tactics.

That's pretty interesting. MS needs to just f-- off already and stop trying its hardest to screw us PS3 users. Either come out with a better system or die. Quite trying to keep your POS on level ground through underhanded tactics.

All with their hands in gaming do this. Sony (and vice versa) has had plenty of exclusive deals that "screwed over" players on other systems, whether it was content specific, game specific, etcetera.

Though like Joe said, hopefully once the exclusivity deal expires you'll be able to just install an app.