RWD-4dr-Manual-<$10k-?

Bam

Haven't checked out a TSX, again didn't see those in my range. May have to try and find one though.

Anyone have thoughts about buying a previous rental car? It was a rental car for the first year and 24k miles, yet has 80k on it now. Carfax is clean but we all know how reliable those are. I'm on the fence, at one point, I know the stigma of rental cars, but on the flip side, its had nearly 60k miles put on it since being a rental car by 1 person, the 2nd owner, so you would think any issues would have worked themselves out, right?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

what do you guys think of bmw's with 145k miles? lol some people say they run forever, others don't. I dunno...it is cheap tho.

http://columbus.craigslist.org/cto/1475319675.html

Probably get it close to $3k assuming its a clean title and decent looking. Lose those hideous rims too.

Just thinking...tis all

what do you guys think of bmw's with 145k miles? lol some people say they run forever, others don't. I dunno...it is cheap tho.

http://columbus.craigslist.org/cto/1475319675.html

Probably get it close to $3k assuming its a clean title and decent looking. Lose those hideous rims too.

Just thinking...tis all

Looks pretty solid right there, minus the wheels.

Guest tbutera2112
im kinda starting to wish i had bought another rwd....this torque steer bullshit is getting old.... i love the car, just dont like taking off from a stop in it because its dumb

There's a reason 10 year old BMWs and 10 year old Civics cost the same even though the BMW was more than twice as much when new. As long as you understand and accept that reason and plan accordingly for future expenses, then I'd say go for it.

ouch. I thought that was because Americans were stupid enough to think Hondas last forever? I highly doubt this is true outside America, but what do I know?

Autotrader shows people asking $5.5 - $14k for 1999 BMW's, and $3k-$8k for Hondas. Close, but no cigar.

ouch. I thought that was because Americans were stupid enough to think Hondas last forever? I highly doubt this is true outside America, but what do I know?

Autotrader shows people asking $5.5 - $14k for 1999 BMW's, and $3k-$8k for Hondas. Close, but no cigar.

Bah, you're right, there's probably no real-world difference between maintenance costs on a 10 year old 150,000 mile German car loaded with technology and a 10 year old 150,000 Japanese car that you can fix with bailing wire and bubble gum. It's all just perception.

Bah, you're right, there's probably no real-world difference between maintenance costs on a 10 year old 150,000 mile German car loaded with technology and a 10 year old 150,000 Japanese car that you can fix with bailing wire and bubble gum. It's all just perception.

Any car can be fixed in a half ass way. Typically it is reserved for Honda and DSM owners though.

I'm sad that i share a name with someone as dumb as you

Any car can be fixed in a half ass way. Typically it is reserved for Honda and DSM owners though.

Yes, that was totally my point. Thanks.

ETA: http://www.bankrate.com/finance/money-guides/10-best-worst-cars-for-repair-costs.aspx

I'm not even sure why there's any disagreement.

Interesting link. See any rs4's in there Chris?

I would not drive any of the cars on teh least-expensive list though, but maybe my sister would.

Also, in typical consumer reports fashion, they didn't even try to balance the results with real-world analysis. A viper costing 3x as much (as a SX4) to maintain over 5 years is nothing, considering it costs so many times as much to buy. (Did anyone notice I compared the most expensive car to the cheapest one?) If they had taken into account the purchase price of the cars, they would have been close as a percentage of the total price spent on maintenance. Yeah, someone who drops $55k on an nice Audi or BMW really gives a shit about spending $8k on operating it over 5 years. That's the kind of thing that doesn't really impact the class of owner until years down the road after it has depreciated and poor folks like me can afford nice Audis, but not the maintenance.

Guest tbutera2112
**edit nvm guess i was wrong...i coulda swore you could get the ls8 in a manual, because i was shopping for these for awhile and i thought i saw a few of them...i musta been mistaken

Interesting link. See any rs4's in there Chris?

I would not drive any of the cars on teh least-expensive list though, but maybe my sister would.

Also, in typical consumer reports fashion, they didn't even try to balance the results with real-world analysis. A viper costing 3x as much (as a SX4) to maintain over 5 years is nothing, considering it costs so many times as much to buy. (Did anyone notice I compared the most expensive car to the cheapest one?) If they had taken into account the purchase price of the cars, they would have been close as a percentage of the total price spent on maintenance. Yeah, someone who drops $55k on an nice Audi or BMW really gives a shit about spending $8k on operating it over 5 years. That's the kind of thing that doesn't really impact the class of owner until years down the road after it has depreciated and poor folks like me can afford nice Audis, but not the maintenance.

Everything you say is true, as is cred05's snarky comment about a Veryon, but I never disputed any of that. I'm just saying, people tend to think, "Hey, I could spend 3 grand on a shitty Honda, but why would I when I can spend 3 grand on a LUXURY SEDAN," without really taking to heart WHY that luxury sedan which cost so much new is now trading for dirt cheap. And people who are in the market for $3000 cars generally aren't the sort of people who are eager to foot those costs.

Note that I didn't tell him not to get it, I just told him that there was a reason it was so cheap and he should plan for the future accordingly. I really don't see what's controversial about that.

I really don't see what's controversial about that.

I wasn't meaning to be an asshole greg, sorry if it came across that way. You are absolutely right about the maintenance costs affecting the resale. Fact of the matter is all cars need maintenance, and my stepmom got rid of her accord at 100k miles for the same reason I got rid of the A4. We just didn't want to put up with all the maintenance we knew needed done soon, so we sold.

You gotta give the Germans the "failure-prone POS plastic water pump award" though. Watch out for that on BMWs.