98 Accord blowing radio fuses.

I was driving today and the oem honda radio died. came home checked the fuse, sure enough the 20a fuse for the radio was blown. kind of odd, so i checked everything over, seemed ok, replaced the fuse, got on my day. tonight took the car out again, 20 minutes into the drive, same thing, radio cut off, fuse blew. i have made zero changes to this car, radio, or anything else.

any ideas, similar issues with hondas?

thanks in advance,

tom

if anything it might be the 12v power source/lighter.

Check to see if there is a dime in the lighter. Depending on the location it can be easy for one to fall down in there. It's the perfect size to touch the bottom and sides (that's what she said) causing a short. I've no idea if the lighter runs off of the same fuse as the radio in that particular car, but that seems pretty common from what I've seen.

Edit... hmm, this usually will cause the fuse to blow right away, not after a while.

Do you have an after market radio in the car? I put one in an old car I had and all was fine until a song came on I liked and cranked it up, blew the (vehicles) fuse. Stock fuse was meant for the stock radio which probably had about 1.3 watts of power compared to the 20ish per channel that after market radios have. Fuse in the back of the radio was bigger than the vehicles fuse for that circuit.

Edited by Trouble Maker

thanks for the help so far guys...it is a stock oem honda headunit, the first thing i thought of yesterday was a coin in the lighter...looked, didnt find one. it has been fine for 5 years, just started yesterday out of the blue. fml

tom

ahhh...i think i fixed it. I took the radio out, and guess what i found...a set of rca's and a blue remote wire still plugged in to the stock headunit!!! I followed them to the trunk, and found the rca's were touching the live remote wire!!! I didnt really think it would short the radio, but i started doing the math...live 12v remote grounds out on metal rca's causes the radio fuse to blow. hope i got it fixed. btw, i had zero idea this car ever had hookups for a amp, damn previous owners.

tom