E-85

FormulaMatt

Matt, look up ethanol water absorption. We have enough problems with plain E10, and you wouldn't have enough of a gain to warrant the hassle of finding the fuel. Stick with a 90 pump motor.

X2. What would the advantage be to switching to E-85? Can't be the power and you use almost 2x as much E-85 so the savings in price per gallon is a wash...

e85 is the cat's meow

Sure Chris. What did you put in your tank again this week? How about last week? And the week before that? Sure you can run mad boost yo, but look at the bones!

http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o61/solargem/Looting/enchanter-tim.jpg

You only use about 10% more, but its equivalent to 105-110oct for less than the price of 89oct per gallon.

e85 is the cat's meow

It is not 2x as much its more like 33% more.

Okay so not twice as much, but still more then enough to off set the price savings. And as for the oct. how does that help on a N/A application. Pick up a few extra HP by advancing the timing maybe... I don't know. I'm not knocking the idea, I just don't see the point of all that time and effort for not that much gain. But good luck either way, if it's what you want then go for it!

Sure Chris. What did you put in your tank again this week? How about last week? And the week before that? Sure you can run mad boost yo, but look at the bones!

Actually I always run the same amount of boost whether I'm on or off e85. Its about 50-80whp that I gain from timing alone. I put in 93 for the MPG's and better cold starts.

Actually I always run the same amount of boost whether I'm on or off e85. Its about 50-80whp that I gain from timing alone. I put in 93 for the MPG's and better cold starts.

Yeah, I got your cold starts right here! You need more boost. I'm thinking we'll do the corn-broccoli conversion, it's called e-99-B, and is 155 octane. You can even add some hay oil in there to get another 10 octane points if you want, we should be able to push 65psi on that. Also I may have driven your car to work this morning.

You only use about 10% more, but its equivalent to 105-110oct for less than the price of 89oct per gallon.

This was the direction of my thinking.

Okay so not twice as much, but still more then enough to off set the price savings. And as for the oct. how does that help on a N/A application. Pick up a few extra HP by advancing the timing maybe... I don't know. I'm not knocking the idea, I just don't see the point of all that time and effort for not that much gain. But good luck either way, if it's what you want then go for it!

I would not be an immediate swap. The way I am building my new engine is with plans of a blower in the near future. Not this year, but probably next.

I really don't know much about it, that's why I was seeing if it was even possible before looking into it further.

Plus, its not hard for me to find. A station has it that's less than 2 miles from me.

Thanks for the advice guys. At least I know it is possible and now can look alot more into it.

On say a boosted car, how do you know the consistancy of the fuel and maintain the tune based from that? I could be completely wrong but I was thinking that they have different blends in different seasons with different amount of ethanol. I have always wanted to mess around with the e85 stuff on my car but it just seems like everywhere you read people are saying different things. It would just suck to have to retune every season depending on the fuel.

On say a boosted car, how do you know the consistancy of the fuel and maintain the tune based from that? I could be completely wrong but I was thinking that they have different blends in different seasons with different amount of ethanol. I have always wanted to mess around with the e85 stuff on my car but it just seems like everywhere you read people are saying different things. It would just suck to have to retune every season depending on the fuel.

They do, sometime around fall/winter time they switch it up to "e70". I haven't figured out a way of telling when you get what. Luckily my car will compensate for the difference, I'm not sure what a carbureted car will do. But it's not a problem at all, even when I'm switching between 93 and e85, its ok to have some 93 still in there (the less the better obviously), the car will adjust for it.

They do, sometime around fall/winter time they switch it up to "e70". I haven't figured out a way of telling when you get what. Luckily my car will compensate for the difference, I'm not sure what a carbureted car will do. But it's not a problem at all, even when I'm switching between 93 and e85, its ok to have some 93 still in there (the less the better obviously), the car will adjust for it.

Yeah, but your Audi will also wipe your butt and do your laundry. Not everyone's car is so advanced.

I would not be an immediate swap. The way I am building my new engine is with plans of a blower in the near future. Not this year, but probably next.

I really don't know much about it, that's why I was seeing if it was even possible before looking into it further.

Plus, its not hard for me to find. A station has it that's less than 2 miles from me.

Thanks for the advice guys. At least I know it is possible and now can look alot more into it.

Gotch ya! Well here is some basic info on E-85. http://www.eco-flex.us/pages/E85_facts.htm I was looking at it as an option for my GTP, but never got around to it.... You probably know most of it already but if you're serious about the S/C swap and E-85 the more you know the better I guess. Good luck and have fun!