Toyota announces recall

Mensan

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091125/ap_on_bi_ge/us_toyota_floor_mats

Toyota Motor Corp. will replace gas pedals on 3.8 million recalled vehicles in the United States to address problems with sudden acceleration or the pedal becoming stuck in the floor mat, The Associated Press has learned....

Popular vehicles such as the Toyota Camry, the top-selling passenger car in America, and the Toyota Prius, the best-selling gas-electric hybrid, are part of the recall. It includes the 2007-10 model year Camry, 2005-10 Toyota Avalon, 2004-09 Prius, 2005-10 Toyota Tacoma, 2007-10 Toyota Tundra, 2007-10 Lexus ES350 and 2006-10 Lexus IS250/350.

This apparently stems from the fact that their gas pedals get stuck and the owners crash.

Let me help this situation so no one here dies a fiery death such as the one detailed in that article. If your accelerator pedal becomes stuck, either put your car in neutral or turn it off. It will cause problems, but not to the extreme that your car will become airborne at 120+ mph.

If your accelerator pedal becomes stuck, either put your car in neutral or turn it off. It will cause problems, but not to the extreme that your car will become airborne at 120+ mph.

If I remember correctly, the family mentioned in the article was killed because he couldn't get the car to turn off. He wasn't aware that holding down the ignition button 3 seconds (I think it was) would have killed the car. No key to turn off.

Not putting it in neutral was the drivers own lack of thinking though.

They reported that the all weather mat was larger than the one that was supposed to be in the car. Says to me that it was aftermarket and of the owners doing. At least they are going over and above to fix it.

if your talking bout the family of 4 that died they were in a rental.

if your talking bout the family of 4 that died they were in a rental.

Again, further proving my point, it is cheaper to put those all weather mats in to protect the carpet aftermarket than from the factory.....

I know you know how rental places purchase cars, no extra options....

meh, fuck toyota. i can't speak for those jap cars, but i had the pedal stick on my cobra while on a spirited drive--it was a well known problem that ford promptly fixed. the car accelerates so fast, its hard to process exactly what has happened unless you're expecting it. try to stomp on the pedal a few times to release it, put the car in neutral (bouncing off the rev limiter), and turn the key half way off so you don't lock the steering wheel---seems easy, right. not the case