M112 supercharged 3.8 V6 Mustang

KStang3.8

Its gonna happen this june. In the mean time i need to figure out the exact details so i can choose what to buy.

I have 2 options. Cam. Or blower pulley. The pulley is cheaper by about $200 but i really am clueless to the performance difference and i'm also hoping to have somewhat reasonable gas mileage as this is going to be my daily drive for years to come.

for the pulley:

http://www.billetflow.com/supercharger_pulleys.htm

Typical boost gains over stock pulley (3.65")

1.5-2.5 lbs. 3.400"

3.5-4.5 lbs. 3.100"

5-6 lbs. 2.930"

6-7 lbs. 2.760"

or should i go with a Cam from Super Six Motorsports?

whats the difference between Cam vs. More psi. In terms of performance (rwhp etc) and gas mileage (gonna kill it? gonna help it? no difference?) also is either thing gonna be harmful in the long run? like will more psi blow up my motor?

thanks for the help.

In case you need to know the M112 conversion kit consists of

M112 from an 03 Cobra. Cobra Throttle Body and Plenum. JLT Cobra Cold Air Intake. Super six motorsports adapter plate. 39lb Cobra fuel injectors. 310lph Fuel pump from VMP tuning. Cobra 90mm MAF. and Water/Meth Kit

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I say cam it for a stronger drivedrain and it will help get the air in and out faster with that blower also...
quoted for truth because hes right. With a cam, the motor will breath a little better so you will take better advantage of the stock boost. Plus it will be much easier to do the cam swap now since you will already have the intakes off and such. Plus you can always do the pulley swap down the road fairly easily and again, you will see better gains because of that cam. edit: although come to think of it, before you decide which to get, id figure out what your long term plans for the car are. Because if you go with the cam, to really take advantage of a cam, your more than likely going to need a torque converter. If you dont think your gonna want to spend the money for one, id just go for the pulley.

Guest JCroz91

ugh the gains in that link will not be what u will see out of ur car. ha essentially the larger the pulley you use the more power you will make. this blower isnt made for our small engine. it makes too much boost for our small engine. do a 3.6 pulley (stock pulley) and call supersixmotorsports and tell them you want a cam. they will ask u your future plans and goals for the car along with all ur curent mods to make a cam perfect for your setup. i was quoted $350 for the cam an then with springs, rods, and retainers it came out to about $650-$700 in parts then about $700 or $800 for the install.

if you go any bigger than a 3.4 pulley ur engine wont last long at all. with stock internals a smaller pulley isnt an option. cam, RR's, meth injection are your only options other than building the motor.

a cam should add like 60ish rwhp cause it will let the engine flow better, add LT's to that and you will see better #'s. all in all with stock internals most you will see is around 300 rwhp.

@ Gary - I'm not sure what stock boost is. 7-8ish maybe?

my long term plan is basically this. because as i mentioned i want a daily driver. while i'd love to make this into an 11 second monster i would have horrible gas mileage at that point and i can't do that.

@everyone - sounds like the blower pulley is not the way to go with the stock internals, which i feared, thank you for the advice.

@ Jcroz - "i was quoted $350 for the cam an then with springs, rods, and retainers it came out to about $650-$700 in parts then about $700 or $800 for the install." on their price listing thing it says 400. so youre telling me i have to fet the srpings, rods, retainers and drop 650--700 for it? then double that for install? cuz damn. if thats true i can NOT put a cam on my car.

also. what kind of gas mileage (mpg) do you have with your setup? and how would a cam change that (for better or for worse?)

my long term plan is basically this. because as i mentioned i want a daily driver. while i'd love to make this into an 11 second monster i would have horrible gas mileage at that point and i can't do that.

@everyone - sounds like the blower pulley is not the way to go with the stock internals, which i feared, thank you for the advice.

@ Jcroz - "i was quoted $350 for the cam an then with springs, rods, and retainers it came out to about $650-$700 in parts then about $700 or $800 for the install." on their price listing thing it says 400. so youre telling me i have to fet the srpings, rods, retainers and drop 650--700 for it? then double that for install? cuz damn. if thats true i can NOT put a cam on my car.

also. what kind of gas mileage (mpg) do you have with your setup? and how would a cam change that (for better or for worse?)

gotta pay to play. if you cant do the work your self then it can be costly. your best bet is to call around an get quotes on what itll cost labor wise. good place to start(an not sure ull need to go anywhere else) is pm gearhead on here tell him what al lyou will need done an see if he can thow you a quote for a package deal.

also he has alot of hoop up with vendors an also pm mr sheeba for prices he can beat alot of peoples prices as well)

pm'd

@ Jcroz - what kind of gas mileage (mpg) do you have with your setup? and how would a cam change that (for better or for worse?)

Guest JCroz91

gas milage right now is shittay! maybe 13 to 15 mpg. yeah thats y i didnt want to cam it. its pricey. but hey.. thats y i bought a bike. the m112 itself taps the stock 3.8 out. its not a strong engine at all. thats y i gave up on it. if i were u just put the m112 on with a stock pulley. have brian tune it. and call it a day at around 270rwhp. if you wanted more power you should have gone TMA turbo.

ya i think i'm just gonna accept whatever i can get with just the blower, no new pulley, no cam. too much money and too much risk to kill my car. have you had problems since you m112'd yours? you said youre giving up on it is that cuz its killing your car? or what?

Guest JCroz91
no i havnt had any problems. but its just if you try to add any more power the chances of going boom get very big and i want too keep it safe. its about at fast as a slightly modded gt so its a decent car. when it blows up ill put a v8 in it to get me by.

Guest JCroz91

i have a steeda UDP. idk what its like to not have one. it was the first mod i ever did to my car. but if you want better gas milage dont put a m112 on ur car. lol theres no other way around it. ull need to have premium all the time now too. a full tank lasts me maybe a week. and i work and go to school both full time. so im not out driving around a lot. thats $40 a week.

another reason i got a bike... 45 mpg and $10 to fill the tank which lasts me about a week and a half. in summer i plan to nearly never drive the car and just take the bike everywhere

well right now i drive like a crazy man and i get about 15mpg so i know what its like to have 1 tank last one week. and my parents pay for gas till i'm out of school so thats like 4 years free gas unless they go bankrupt because i use so much gas lol so. i think 13-15 will be acceptable enough for me. shitty as it is...it will be acceptable.

in terms of exhaust i have bbk shorty headers stock cats and y pipe and magnaflow catback. should i invest in high flow cats or LT's? if so why? is it really worth the extra $ ?

Guest Removed

you can get better MPG out of the tune...

dont do just the cam, you have to upgrade the springs and all that.

and why run meth on it? i dont think your really going to need it, unless you are really pushing some boost into it. or unless you hit spark knock on pump gas.

why not just turbo it.?

Guest Removed
well right now i drive like a crazy man and i get about 15mpg so i know what its like to have 1 tank last one week. and my parents pay for gas till i'm out of school so thats like 4 years free gas unless they go bankrupt because i use so much gas lol so. i think 13-15 will be acceptable enough for me. shitty as it is...it will be acceptable.

in terms of exhaust i have bbk shorty headers stock cats and y pipe and magnaflow catback. should i invest in high flow cats or LT's? if so why? is it really worth the extra $ ?

yes go with the long tubes. your shoving all the air and fuel in, you want it to get out as fast if not faster then its coming in, to help cool cylinder temps

well. i don't wanna turbo it because i already have like 1/3 of the parts including the m112 for this. and then also the cheapest TMA kit is 3400 and this is gonna cost me 2400.

as for the cam thats gonna be more pricey than i want.

i was going to run meth because Super Six recommended that i do and sonic is as well. so i just figured it was the thing to do.

you feel its unnecessary? can you explain why?

i really wanna go with longtubes. lets say i can't. would high flow cats be good?

meth is not necessity for that little boost. Any idea what the compression on those motors is? Kevin, you best bet is just to get some long tubes, and save your money and just remove your cats. You can usually get a muffler shop to bend you up a pipe to take the cats place. Just dont tell them what its for lol. And as for gas mileage, its all about how the car is set up and how you drive. For instance, about a year ago, i put a full tank in my firebird and with a mix of city and freeway driving, along with beating on the car from time to time, i got an average of 27.5 mpg, and thats with a very rich A/F ratio to lol. Although with the 4.10's im about ot put in, i expect that will go down. But wow, i always thought the ford 3.8's were stronger than that.

Guest Removed
stock boost which i'm not sure what that is but i'm guessing like 7-8ish psi?

shouldnt need meth for that...

meth is normally used when people dont want to run race gas under heavy boost.