Audi people, help - wiring an aftermarket nav unit to an 06 A4

Nitrousbird

Car: 06 A4 2.0T Quattro, non-bose, Symphony w/ Sirius (car didn't come with the Sirius tuner, I installed the factory tuner a year ago).

I just bought a used Eclipse AVN20D unit from Big Steve. Things I think I will need:

- The Connects2 rubber mounting kit

- Antenna adapter, either Round style or Flat style (which one do I need???)

- Wiring harness to connect in the decks wiring to the stock harness (I assume, or is this encompassed in the steering wheel controler wiring harness?). If needed, any links to what I should buy?

- Eclipse Sirius tuner (is there an adapter out there to utilize the factory Sirius antenna?)

- Steering wheel controller. I hear the Connects2 is the best for this as well. But do I need 07-08 style or the 02-06 style. I ask because 02-05 is a B6, 06-08 is a B7 car, so the split doesn't make sense. I could be totally off on which one is needed. But I HAVE to have functional steering wheel controls.

Also, is it possible to use the factory GPS antenna in place of the Eclipse one? I don't mind doing some wire splicing if need be.

My wife will be gone for X-mas this year (her family is outside the US, and I can't go with her this year), so I want to make sure it is all installed and perfect for when she returns. I have to have the steering wheel controls and Sirius working PERFECTLY or she will not be happy with it.

Audi forums has been worthless thus far. Any links to cheaper stuff is greatly appreciated.

- Antenna adapter - Metra 40-VW53

-Wiring Harness - Metra 70-1784

-Sirius Tuner, The Tuner is not actually built into the radio and you need a seperate eclipse product. Eclipse Sirius Tuner

-Steering Wheel Controls - Definitely use the Connects2 products, My experience with the PAC products has been shoddy at best. According to Connects2 You need the CTSAD002 - which is the 07-08 Style. I am not sure about connecting that to the eclipse radio though.

I have no experience in using the factory antenna, It should just a standard NMEA antenna, You may try searching for the pin-out (i tried but could not find anything). I recommend using the eclipse antenna. You may be able to Open up the stock sharkfin and put the eclipse antenna in there.

Edited by Igor

• 2 weeks later...

Well, things I have discovered:

Connects2 does not make a unit that works with an Eclipse Navigation unit. I had to buy a PAC SWI-CAN and SWI-ECL2

There are a ton of antenna options it seems. Enfig said I needed the VW54 unit, though it looks almost the same as the 53. So I just ordered what they suggested.

They also said I neeed the Metra 1787 harness, though I've seen things for the 1784 too. I found a 1787 for a better price than the online stores, so I got it there, and got the 1784 for $2.99 shipped, so that should be covered.

Radio keys were ordered for $4.50 shipped. Ordered the Connects2 dash mount, as it is said to look the most OEM of all of them.

Enfig claims I need to get a cage for my Eclipse, as the dash kits have no way to attach them without it. I've seen pics online that lead me to believe otherwise, so I'm going to wing it once the dash kit arrives (hopefully early next week).

I also ordered a 2-line High-Low converter, since the Eclipse unit has no pre-amp out (which sucks), as I need that for the rear channels I suppose. I got a decent one with noise cancellation and is adjustable.

All I "think" I still need to order is the Eclipse Sirius tuner. In the end, I'll have spent almost as much to install this Nav unit as I did for the unit itself.

Ahh, Enfig Car Stereo was "supposed" to be good according to what others said on some other forums. Yeah, so they send an e-mail soon after I placed my order, saying there was a delay in one of the items (didn't mention which one), and wouldn't ship it until the 30th. Since Janet gets back here on the 30th, that doesn't work.

I e-mailed them that night asking what item it was, and to just omitt it from the order so they could ship right away. Well, it's Sunday night and still no response, so I had to say screw them and ordered everything off of E-bay. Couldn't get the Connects2 trim ring, so I had to go the Metra route instead (which was about 1/2 the price). If I don't like the Metra unit I can always upgrade later.

Still need to source a cheap Eclipse Sirius tuner.....

• 2 weeks later...

DAMN IT.

One big item no one decided to mention, that I just assumed came with the SWI-CAN (does with the Connects2, but god forbid they have a harness for an Eclipse head unit).

I need the PAC C2R-VW. This stupid thing allows me to actually plug the SWI-CAN into the can bus, plus has leads for the speed sensor, reverse wire, parking brake (though I am grounding that lead so I can bypass the DVD safety feature).

Hopefully CCA or Sound Investment have one in stock, as I need to get this wired up tomorrow (assuming my freaking dash kit shows up).

• 4 months later...

UPDATE:

It is all said and done, but I discovered the Audi Forums don't know shit about doing this conversion, with both fully incorrect and lacking information.

#1: The C2R-VW module they claim to work DOES NOT WORK. It will not read the Audi's Can Bus data. Period, end of story. I tried 3 different units, and it is a no-go.

#2: The Connects2 kit only works if you have a head unit with a cage. The Eclipse is cage-less, so I had to go with the Metra.

#3: The Metra kit looks really good. It has an aweful design flaw...it is VERY difficult to get out, especially if you are attempting not to damage it. You basically need to know exactly where the tab is prior to installing. When removing, you have to pry back the side with a screwdriver, trying not to damage it, then slip a bendable piece of metal in to push in the latch (butter knife worked well).

#4: In January, PAC released the C2R-AUDI unit. This DOES work. You also don't need the SWI-CAN unit or a Metra wiring harness, as this all comes with the C2R-AUDI. To do an aftermarket wiring install, you just need the C2R-AUDI, antenna adapter (make sure it is a powered one), and the steering wheel control adapter that matches the head unit you have (ECL2 for the Eclipse).