Tom Tom releases USA only Turn by turn GPS Navi for 49.99 for a limited time.

SpaceGhost

http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2009/12/11/tomtom-introduces-u-s-only-gps-iphone-application-for-49-99/

TomTom Introduces U.S.-Only GPS iPhone Application for $49.99

posted by Eric Slivka on Friday December 11, 2009 03:11 PM

TomTom today launched TomTom U.S.A. [App Store], a new U.S.-only GPS navigation application for the iPhone carrying an introductory price of $49.99 through December 28th.

The introductory price marks a 50% savings over the current regular price of the original TomTom U.S. & Canada [App Store, $99.99] while retaining coverage of 99.9% of all U.S. states (including Alaska and Hawaii) and Puerto Rico and dropping only coverage of Canada. TomTom does not appear to have released a corresponding Canada-only version at this time, and it is unknown if it has plans to do so in the future.

Also unknown is TomTom U.S.A.'s planned regular price point. TomTom U.S. & Canada has consistently been priced at its regular $99.99 price point since its introduction in August, with the exception of a brief discount to $69.99 around Black Friday.

I bought it.

Edited by Benjamin

Oh and it looks like they changed the new version to be free for a month then limited use after that. Here grab version 4.5 it is an older version. I've had it since May and have been using it. Turn by turn always works. It doesn't read the street names off but it tells you to turn left or right or make u-turn or whatever.

http://www.brothersoft.com/mobile/amaze-4589.html

http://www.amazegps.com free turn by turn gps for smart phones, blackberries, droids, and iphones. I use it on my berry.

You got ripped off.

Funny I don't feel ripped off, I like using one of the bigger names in Navi. Just went out and used it works perfect. Had to to turn the speed limit alert off as I didn't know it did that. :D

What does the tomtom app have that the google navigation doesnt? I was on my phone the other day in street view just for the fun of it seeing if the streets still look the same as when the pics were taken. I cant say it free because the unlimited internet is $30 but I've never used a tomtom. I would assume the app is similar..Please enlighten me...

What does tomtom have that the google navigation doesnt? I was on my phone the other day in street view just for the fun of it seeing if the streets still look the same as when the pics were taken. I cant say it free because the unlimited internet is $30 but I've never used a tomtom. I would assume the app is similar..Please enlighten me...

Haven't used it yet, but Turn by Turn spoken voice is what I look for most in a GPS. I rarely need the maps. I just listen to where to go.

If you have AT&T, it's another great alternative sold for $70/yr. I've used it for years. What I like most there is that it's fully integrated with MS Outlook and my Sync with the Blackberry.

Click on any contact or calander meeting and an option of Map or Drive to is right there. So when I book a meeting in MS Outlook and it pops up on my BB, so long as I put the Addy in the invite, I can simply get in the car, click on the appointment, menu--> drive to and I'm on my way.

What does the tomtom app have that the google navigation doesnt? I was on my phone the other day in street view just for the fun of it seeing if the streets still look the same as when the pics were taken. I cant say it free because the unlimited internet is $30 but I've never used a tomtom. I would assume the app is similar..Please enlighten me...

Well since we have AT&T and google pulls their maps from the net, no data, no map. :D Tom Tom has the maps in the app, it's a pretty big app, but my 32GB of storage can handle it. So I don't need to rely on a data connection for a map. Might not be important to verizon peeps. Although I found out today that I can talk on the phone at the same time the navi is going, I didn't think that could happen, but all you have to do once you answer a call is hit the home button and then start the app again.

Very happy with this app.

Well since we have AT&T and google pulls their maps from the net, no data, no map. :D Tom Tom has the maps in the app, it's a pretty big app, but my 32GB of storage can handle it. So I don't need to rely on a data connection for a map. Might not be important to verizon peeps. Although I found out today that I can talk on the phone at the same time the navi is going, I didn't think that could happen, but all you have to do once you answer a call is hit the home button and then start the app again.

Very happy with this app.

You soooo need to JB your iPhone. BACKGROUNDER!

Well since we have AT&T and google pulls their maps from the net, no data, no map.

I've never had issue. Occasionally, I'll drive through and lose my signal, but typically, it's in the middle of an interstate where I'm just going straight anyway. Otherwise, it's actually more reliable than my Garmin which will occasionally lose sat. signal. Go figure.

I do like that it allows talking on the phone while still navigating. That's one thing you can't do with AT&T. Not a big deal really, but I say that as I usually only use the GPS when I get near the destination or am in the city.

IMO For $50 not a bad deal at all. I won't compare it to AT&T unless further asked, but overall, if you have an iPhone, there's now zero reason to buy a separate GPS.

I'm sure my wife will really dig it. Especially since she has zero sense of direction.