2 Nuclear submarines collide in the Atlantic!

cbrjess0815

Seriously? That had to be really akward.

"Hey, don't you guys have a state-of-the-art sonar system that should be able to detect a GIANT SUBMARINE when it is right next to you? Yeah, where were you on that one? Oh, our sonar? Umm...."

No but seriously, someone is getting fired over this. You'd think that rule number 1 of operating a nuclear sub is "Don't run into shit, especially foreign shit that is also laden with nuclear weapons"

"Even in an ocean the size of the North Atlantic the submarines are eventually going to be in the same patch of water at the same time," he said.
O Rly? No matter what we do, no matter the technology and sophisticated gadgetry we provide, humans are just huge f*(kups.

It's funny to think that water covers 3/4ths of the planet and they have that whole 3rd dimension (depth) to avoid running into other people, and they still can't accomplish that. :nono:

Maybe instead of being fired, they should be commended. It takes a LOT of talent and balls to run two pieces of multimillion dollar NUCLEAR equipment into each other at slow speeds. Most people would've just fired a torpedo.

Edited by JRMMiii

These boomers use passive sonar, they listen only. And both were super quiet. I doubt if either one could be heard at low throttle. combined with the thermoclines (layers of hot and cold water) around the Mediterranean outflow, they just never heard a thing.

Or they were playing games with each other, trying to follow and/or get away.

Nuclear stuff, the reactor is safe unless it is physically breached. Very hard to do. The weapons are just dangerous hot rocks in a can until armed. If they are in shallow water, you have to go get them or some one else will.

true. plus they are dual hull.

but depressurization is a bitch.

I worked with mostly Ohio class boomers, but also a few Los Angeles class.

Boomers are an amazing thing to behold. 24 Tridents FTW.

These boomers use passive sonar, they listen only. And both were super quiet. I doubt if either one could be heard at low throttle. combined with the thermoclines (layers of hot and cold water) around the Mediterranean outflow, they just never heard a thing.

Or they were playing games with each other, trying to follow and/or get away.

Nuclear stuff, the reactor is safe unless it is physically breached. Very hard to do. The weapons are just dangerous hot rocks in a can until armed. If they are in shallow water, you have to go get them or some one else will.

+1

I was stationed aboard both and they are very quiet.

The boomers (nuclear missile boats) also travel at very slow speeds.

I would say they were probably playing games lost each other in the thermal layers. Which is quite easy to do.

+1

I was stationed aboard both and they are very quiet.

The boomers (nuclear missile boats) also travel at very slow speeds.

I would say they were probably playing games lost each other in the thermal layers. Which is quite easy to do.

no shit. good to know. I was at Kings Bay for 2 years.

I was at New London, CT and Charleston, SC. I did a single boomer cruse out of Holy Lock, Scotland

USS L. Mendel Rivers (SSN 686)

USS George C Marshall (SSBN 654)

USS Gato (SSN 615)

I think Charleston shut down some/all of their ops. while i was at KB.

WE also had some British boats at KB getting fitted for the Trident. THOSE dudes are REAL drinkers.

playing games is war game maneuvers. Learning to avoid detection, or to break off and slip away if found. Conversely, Learning to detect, and keep the contact. And now that I think about it, it's unlikely they were playing games. Both were boomer missile subs, dedicated to silence and stealth, not attack. Attack subs would be hunting them. They wouldn't be hunting each other, unless... they were playing games, lol....

Here's the point... to enter the Mediterranean Sea, subs must travel a narrow specific course to avoid detection as well as simply getting there through a deep channel. Chances are both subs were doing that, which increased the odds of a collision. There's only a few places in the world where something like that might happen under water, and that's one of them. Even if both France and England claim they were somewhere else when it happened. They wouldn't want to give away important exact locations. Expensive error.

Here's the point... to enter the Mediterranean Sea, subs must travel a narrow specific course to avoid detection as well as simply getting there through a deep channel. Chances are both subs were doing that, which increased the odds of a collision. There's only a few places in the world where something like that might happen under water, and that's one of them. Even if both France and England claim they were somewhere else when it happened. They wouldn't want to give away important exact locations. Expensive error.

+1

On our Med cruse we actually had to wait for a specific time window to enter/exit through the Straits of Gibraltar.

true. plus they are dual hull.

but depressurization is a bitch.

I worked with mostly Ohio class boomers, but also a few Los Angeles class.

Boomers are an amazing thing to behold. 24 Tridents FTW.

Actually they are not dual hull...neither are ours. The Russian Typhoons and Oscars are the only subs I know that use a true dual hull..