2 Nuclear submarines collide in the Atlantic!

cbrjess0815

Actually they are not dual hull...neither are ours. The Russian Typhoons and Oscars are the only subs I know that use a true dual hull..

yes and no. the bow and stern are skinned (dual). the main body is single hulled. so yes you are correct.

+1

On our Med cruse we actually had to wait for a specific time window to enter/exit through the Straits of Gibraltar.

I didn't know that. I wonder if it was a window for taking turns, or a thermocline window. I suspect the latter. I've never heard of separate two way travel lanes either.

I'm an idiot...but here is what I'm guessing is somewhat close to the truth.

The 'traffic' situation ReconRat described, combined with both subs using passive sonar (as to not give out their position), combined with the real possibility of ONE of the subs having detected the other and was trying to figure out who/what it was, led to a fender bender.

I know it's easy to say 'How the fuck did this happen with this advanced sonar on board"??? The reality is, you're only going to get the best 'picture' of what's going on around you with active sonar....BUT by going active you've just broadcasted your position to EVERYONE. Including Mr Limpet. It's like turning on a flashlight in the middle of a pitch black room. You can find everything, but now every can see you too.

I'd like to know how many pants were soiled on board both subs after the collision.

I didn't know that. I wonder if it was a window for taking turns, or a thermocline window. I suspect the latter. I've never heard of separate two way travel lanes either.

They have windows on submarines???

had to do it...

If its anything like my work, they probably cut the funding for the training, and just threw a bunch of guys in a sub and told them to figure it out.