Ls1 Cam ?

Guest dsm8u

Hey whats up everybody.im new to the ls1 motor.im looking to get a cam for my z28.its a 99 z28 6 speed.looking for a nice sounding cam . i want something pretty radical but not to where my car wont run or idle right.also that wont break my bank...lol.And also what would i need to install the cam.thanks any info will help,again im new to the ls1 motors so take it easy on me lol jk thanks guys. Edited by dsm8u

What goals do you have with it?

More mods, just want the sound, make peak power, or good drivability. Lots to think about adn everyone has an opinion.

I've had a smaller Thunder Racing 224 cam that was an excellent all around cam, and now I have a more aggressive TSP 233/239 cam which works better with nitrous and makes more peak power. There are a lot of things to consider, but both of those cams had a noticable idle.

Guest Removed
You can have my cam for $100 if you can get someone to come take it out

228/232 .588/.595 110+1 xer lobed... Its probably more than what you want but I figured Id put it out there for after you do your investigating.

you have 5 other cams sitting on the kitchen table :bangbang:

brians kitchen table...some may even have dyno sheets and track slips :lol:

Truth.

Do not get an MS3 without doing a ride along in an M6 that has one. 224/224 112 is a safe bet (like Scott said) with a good sound. 228/232 112lsa is a good compromise cam if you want a little more than the safe 224. Bigger than that you will hear and feel it so the big questions are...

what do you want out of your car..

what are your planned mods..

how sensative are you to a lopey cam.

Texas Speed....go with the MS3 (Magic Stick 3)

Great cam

Im curious why you would say this?

V8 BEAST: Do not get an MS3 without doing a ride along in an M6 that has one.

I daily drive my car with a 240/250 610/600 on a 112 and love the way it sounds at 7600rpm! lol ( Do not try this in your stock motor! )

Great cam

Im curious why you would say this?

V8 BEAST: Do not get an MS3 without doing a ride along in an M6 that has one.

I daily drive my car with a 240/250 610/600 on a 112 and love the way it sounds at 7600rpm! lol ( Do not try this in your stock motor! )

Everybody's idea of driveablity is different.

Everybody's idea of driveablity is different.

Exactly, everyone recommends the MS3 because they can't get past the numbers but there are plenty of cams that drive better and make better power under the curve.

It all depends on how radical you can tolerate and where you want to go with the car.

where would be the place to purchase my cam?

You will need more than just a cam when doing the swap. Get a cam kip which will have: upgraded valve springs, retainers and lockers. I would also recommend a ported oil pump and a new timming chain,

Call IPS they will get you set up. I had the MS3 in my car from Thunderracing. I think it is the best cam for a stock shortblock LS1 motor.