2011 Mustang 5.0L

zeitgeist57

Two things came to mind when I saw these pics:

1) It won't be but two months after the new 5.0 comes to market when people will be clamoring for "5.0L" badges to smack onto their older Fox-bodies. :)

2) That is by far one of the prettiest intake manifolds I've seen since the Alfa-Romeo 164's V6 or the Ford Taurus SHO. It would look great in front of the firewall on a FFR '33 Hot Rod. :)

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/12/28/2011-ford-mustang-gt-offcially-rolls-with-a-5-0-v8/

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Two things came to mind when I saw these pics:

1) It won't be but two months after the new 5.0 comes to market when people will be clamoring for "5.0L" badges to smack onto their older Fox-bodies. :)

2) That is by far one of the prettiest intake manifolds I've seen since the Alfa-Romeo 164's V6 or the Ford Taurus SHO. It would look great in front of the firewall on a FFR '33 Hot Rod. :)

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/12/28/2011-ford-mustang-gt-offcially-rolls-with-a-5-0-v8/

I still think Alfa takes the cake on that regard.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-T0iwD-jVJ0

2:55

I have to give Ford credit, it looks like they did a hell of a job with this motor. 32v, 7000rpm, and 390 lb-ft from a 4.9 is damn good. I think they could do a little better than 25mpg on the highway, but that's still pretty sweet out of a mustang. It looks good too. Too bad I don't like mustangs. How much is it supposed to cost again? Seems like all that tech would drive the price up quite a bit, which I thought was the GT's strongest selling point.

Some companies (Audi) installs after-run coolant pumps to keep the turbo oil from coking due to owner neglect... Worked on the old Audi turbos, fails on the new Audi turbos. I'm not sure if Ford would want to add the expense of that system though.

Guest tbutera2112
regular dumbasses with deep pockets won't bother warming up or cooling down the turbos, leaving residual oil to sit there and bake onto the bearings after a hard drive to starbucks..

ok so how is that different than them adding warranty to a ecoboost v6 like the new SHO and MKS?

if theyre worried about cooling the turbos, im sure they have a system in place to cool them after the car is shut off like rymer mentioned....youre basically saying ford would not warranty a turbo car, when they already DO...why is the v8 different than the v6? turbos are a much better application than a roots blower like ford has used in the past...heat soak is a motherfucker, and so is MPG loss

please explain why a blower is more reliable? and why a turbo v8 would void warranry, but a turbo v6 wouldnt?

Look at my car, and then look at the new S4 and why its a supercharger and not twin turbo.

A) To get rid of lag (not that there is really any lag on my car)

B) Reliability

Guest tbutera2112
Designed for long-life reliability, EcoBoost’s turbochargers feature water-cooled bearing jackets. This architecture is designed to prevent oil “cooking” that could occur in previous-generation turbochargers. The new design means that EcoBoost drivers don’t need to observe special operating precautions, such as idling the engine before switching it off

http://media.ford.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=29657

Guest tbutera2112
Look at my car, and then look at the new S4 and why its a supercharger and not twin turbo.

A) To get rid of lag (not that there is really any lag on my car)

B) Reliability

just because your turbos explode every 10k miles doesnt mean all turbos are junk...

has audi stated that they switched because of reliability? *i really do not know, im asking*

it would make more sense they switched for more low-end power, or to create something new to draw in more buyers

it does seem theyre moving backwards though....nothing like designed a car to rob more engine power than its predecessor, turbo is way more efficient than a s/c

i know you think only audi knows what theyre doing, but if s/c is more reliable, please explain why most import and the big 3 are all switching to turbo now instead of s/c?

Not bad at all.

I've seen that intake manifold before...

http://s117957141.onlinehome.us/Audi/25quattro/RS4%20Engine1%20(Small).JPG

I think the 05-09 mustang manifolds look similiar to that also

you think audi's are the only car to do anything and its simply not the case. Have you ever seen any ford intakes they have several that look like that. hell the old shos are similar

http://www.danvm.com/dan/car/images/shov6.jpg

audis are just fag cars and your getting all butt hurt by ford.

just because your turbos explode every 10k miles doesnt mean all turbos are junk...

has audi stated that they switched because of reliability? *i really do not know, im asking*

it would make more sense they switched for more low-end power, or to create something new to draw in more buyers

it does seem theyre moving backwards though....nothing like designed a car to rob more engine power than its predecessor

Well its not that the turbos are junk, but the fact that they are small, which goes back to the whole lag/twin turbo deal. Since they are so small, they spin a lot faster than a large turbo would. My stock turbos had over 100K miles on them and they are still fine btw because they were taken care of.

Thats the other problem, people cheap out on oil, and dont change it on time. Turbos also sit in your exhaust, so they get pwnd with heat a lot more than superchargers do.

Yes, the 2 things I mentioned above is why audi switched. They dont want to pay for turbo warranty work.

I will argue that turbos are a lot better than superchargers, but they require better maintenance. Which for people who aren't morons its not a big deal, but (especially when it comes to mustangs :)) there are a lot of morons who buy cars.