Who has the fastest mobile network in the US?

CRed05

I had tmobile for some time but i dumped them after 9 years of service with them. I moved to a new location and according to their website i should have 3 bars on my phone and i had no reception. had my phone switched out 3 times, had the sim changed out 2 times. techs came out and "found no problem". customer service was shitty when I was dealing with them about this issue but the rest of the times it was good. When I had this issue and I finally got them to agree to no disconnect fee they still charged me when I left. I called them and they corrected the issue but what ever works.

If they could get better service i would consider going back to them but for now, i love my Iphone ive never seen less then 5 bars of service regardless of where ive been.

A little bit of cellular 101.. Claiming to have a faster network is a nothing claim because loading a page (in a perfect signal area) 2 seconds faster than a competitor means nothing in real life. If you surf the web for an hour on the top 4 companies the slowest one will take about a total of 3-4 minutes more than the fastest one. Just like claims of the fewest dropped calls are a decimal point from the number 1 place to the number 3 place. In these day in ages the companies use each others towers. Bigger companies like ATT and Verizon Wireless have more money to spend so they can pay more companies for use of their towers. Tmobile claiming they will make their network bigger is the same claim being made by ATT. What they have in progress will be great in 5 - 10 years when they get done... but now its not enough for travelling consumers. Verizon decided to stay with what they have (reliable but old). The catch is by the time 4g comes VZW customers will be able to use these built up networks that t-mobile and ATT are spending so much time on. T-mobile needs to stay out of the gay better network fight and stay to their bread and butter which is their superior customer service.

You have to have a Hero rom

So from what I am reading, I will still get the faster speeds, I just won't know when I am getting souped up 3G or regular 3G? Or is all the 3G souped up now?

A little bit of cellular 101.. Claiming to have a faster network is a nothing claim because loading a page (in a perfect signal area) 2 seconds faster than a competitor means nothing in real life. If you surf the web for an hour on the top 4 companies the slowest one will take about a total of 3-4 minutes more than the fastest one. Just like claims of the fewest dropped calls are a decimal point from the number 1 place to the number 3 place. In these day in ages the companies use each others towers. Bigger companies like ATT and Verizon Wireless have more money to spend so they can pay more companies for use of their towers. Tmobile claiming they will make their network bigger is the same claim being made by ATT. What they have in progress will be great in 5 - 10 years when they get done... but now its not enough for travelling consumers. Verizon decided to stay with what they have (reliable but old). The catch is by the time 4g comes VZW customers will be able to use these built up networks that t-mobile and ATT are spending so much time on. T-mobile needs to stay out of the gay better network fight and stay to their bread and butter which is their superior customer service.

I agree and dissagree.

T-mobile isnt making any claims, that article was done by someone else. But "4G" isnt even a "real" thing and is very broad. But "4G" is capable of reaching 100mbps, HSDPA+ can reach up to 168mbps. HSDPA = "3.5G" and HSDPA+ = "4G" is how I see it. Fact of the matter is, no one else has a HSDPA network right now, and therefor T-Mobile is the fastest.

It is true that verizon can be picked up in more rural areas compared to the other networks, but that isnt a concern to me. To me all that matter is having the best and latest technology. CDMA is not it for me. But like you said, when they get done in 5-10 years, verizon will have to play catch-up or be left in the dust.

I didnt think it was possible for verizon to use AT&T's and T-Mobile's towers since they are GSM.

So from what I am reading, I will still get the faster speeds, I just won't know when I am getting souped up 3G or regular 3G? Or is all the 3G souped up now?

You have a G1 right? Yeah, you just wont know when you are getting HSDPA or 3G because it will display 3G for both. I live in powell, which seems to be right on the edge of where I can get 3G coverage. I've seen E/3G/H all in one room at home.

Yeah I really like having T-mobile, $80 unlimited everything, and the best customer service I've gotten from ANY company.

I just got tired of them not having any new nice phones ever. I got tired of buying new devices from Ebay, unlocked, to have a cool device. Started costing me too much.

You have a G1 right? Yeah, you just wont know when you are getting HSDPA or 3G because it will display 3G for both. I live in powell, which seems to be right on the edge of where I can get 3G coverage. I've seen E/3G/H all in one room at home.

A MyTouch, but yeah.

I get 3G and E back and forth in my house in Blacklick about 1 mile from Licking County.

I just got tired of them not having any new nice phones ever. I got tired of buying new devices from Ebay, unlocked, to have a cool device. Started costing me too much.

Yeah they had shit phones, but all US networks did. Up until I got my G1 I did the same thing and only bought my phones from Europe, Africa or Asia when I went there or on eBay, and T-mobile or AT&T were the only networks I could use them on.

I agree and dissagree.

T-mobile isnt making any claims, that article was done by someone else. But "4G" isnt even a "real" thing and is very broad. But "4G" is capable of reaching 100mbps, HSDPA+ can reach up to 168mbps. HSDPA = "3.5G" and HSDPA+ = "4G" is how I see it. Fact of the matter is, no one else has a HSDPA network right now, and therefor T-Mobile is the fastest.

It is true that verizon can be picked up in more rural areas compared to the other networks, but that isnt a concern to me. To me all that matter is having the best and latest technology. CDMA is not it for me. But like you said, when they get done in 5-10 years, verizon will have to play catch-up or be left in the dust.

I didnt think it was possible for verizon to use AT&T's and T-Mobile's towers since they are GSM.

With all the quad band phones out there companies are almost interchangable. Verizon wont have to play catch up because of what 4g really is... its about the consumer having options. The speed is just a natural evolution of technology. People waiting for the speeds of 4G are really just waiting for seconds of improved browsing and faster picture messaging uploads.. really not worth a wait at all. With your currrent phones all it really means is your battery will die faster and your phones processor wont be able to handle it the way it should.

With all the quad band phones out there companies are almost interchangable. Verizon wont have to play catch up because of what 4g really is... its about the consumer having options. The speed is just a natural evolution of technology. People waiting for the speeds of 4G are really just waiting for seconds of improved browsing and faster picture messaging uploads.. really not worth a wait at all. With your currrent phones all it really means is your battery will die faster and your phones processor wont be able to handle it the way it should.

Oh but it will...ie Nexus One (not long ago these were laptop specs). As network technology grows, so will phone technology, faster processors, better batteries.

Just because a phone has 3 or 4 different bandwidths that it can read, doesn't make it possible for a GSM phone to work off a CDMA tower. Verizon customers have very little options as is, and if they continue to stay in this stagnant state that they are in right now, they will be way behind. Luckily most Americans are cellphone retarded so that has and will continue to work in Verizon's favor.

I might be wrong, but I really think Verizon sucks donkeyballs.

Oh but it will...ie Nexus One (not long ago these were laptop specs). As network technology grows, so will phone technology, faster processors, better batteries.

Just because a phone has 3 or 4 different bandwidths that it can read, doesn't make it possible for a GSM phone to work off a CDMA tower. Verizon customers have very little options as is, and if they continue to stay in this stagnant state that they are in right now, they will be way behind. Luckily most Americans are cellphone retarded so that has and will continue to work in Verizon's favor.

I might be wrong, but I really think Verizon sucks donkeyballs.

It depends on what type of phone you have. The companies always talk about the main signal the phone is programmed to use but dont discuss the other 2 or 3 that it can use if needed. The way people talk you would think Verizon phones dont have sim cards or the ability to work with full data functions off of a GSM network. Educated customers go to Verizon for a reason. T-mobile is great for people that are stuck to one place, but real companies have to use ATT or Verizon because T-mobile doesnt have the network or support to back it. T-mobile and sprint have no choice but to offer cheap plans or to help avoid bankruptcy. They sacrifice so much revenue off of those plans that companies like ATT just laugh at them. The cost to keep a network like ATTs running immediately takes away the option to offer cheap plans. Its great for people that only stay in their footprint, but for everyone else it falls into the you get what you pay for catagory... T-mobile = Reliable... where available

LOL looks like ATT just sped up their 3g to combat this. im getting faster speeds than tmobile now.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/01/05/atandt-kicks-it-into-overdrive-rolls-out-7-2mbps-everywhere-bu/

So it has the potential to be faster, but it won't be.

:thumbup: at&t, you are really showing t-mobile whats up.

I currently have Sprint. All I know is that I get better reception and less drops than I had with Tmobile and most anyone who goes for a "out in the boonies" cruise with me. I also found Tmobiles customer service to be seriously lacking on more than one occasion and I'm not the type to generally utilize such a thing, either. I pay $50/month for unlimited nights and weekends (7pm-7am and full weekends), 1500 anytime minutes I hardly touch, and unlimited everything else. I don't do a lot downloading and surfing on it, but it seems quick enough.