Bolt action rifles?

87GT

I am going to be selling my ar15 lower and start saving up for a new rifle but not sure what I should get. All I want is bolt action only with a great long range sight that takes 7.62 NATO ammo. What should I be looking for?

Another broad, unanswerable question. Standard answers:

-Remington 700 (pick your flavor; 700p is the 'tactical' model)

-Savage model 10 (accutrigger = factory win)

Scopes...ha! You've got a million options here. Start researching.

What are your intentions for the gun?

Budget?

BTW, you want something chambered in .308 Winchester. 7.62 NATO is a lower pressure version of .308win.

BRB. Calling Lee Harvey Oswald.

He used a pretty cheap 6.5mm Carcano rifle

http://neatorama.cachefly.net/images/2007-06/lee-harvey-oswald-rifle.jpg

Take Austin's advice, you won't go wrong with either selection. .308 winchester is a great round with good ballistic characteristics. I'm somewhat partial to .300 WIN MAG, as I have seen some after effects of this round to a human being. It's one nasty bitch to say the least. Personally, I'd pony up the cash and do the Remington 700, just for the availibility of options and parts for these rifles.

45-70 vs .308

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/cf/.45-70vs.308.png

.308 vs common calibers

http://www.imt.net/~mele/images/tajectory.gif

This is based on trajectory alone, which is an important factor when selecting a long distance calling plan as I call it. :)

Depending on how much you shoot you'd be a retard to NOT get a .308 or .30-06. Since it doesn't sound like you want to crap out $1+ a round to shoot at long range, those would be your best bet. Especially considering it will take you shit-tons of training and conditioning to be able gain anything in a .338 over a .308. Really, how often do you shoot at 600+ yards?

Depending on how much you shoot you'd be a retard to NOT get a .308 or .30-06. Since it doesn't sound like you want to crap out $1+ a round to shoot at long range, those would be your best bet. Especially considering it will take you shit-tons of training and conditioning to be able gain anything in a .338 over a .308. Really, how often do you shoot at 600+ yards?

Never but that won't stop me from practicing nonstop. Other then wifey and video games guns are my other love. I spent way too much on ammo for it to matter anymore. I don't really care about $1 a round it doesn't bother me. Why do you think I have a shitty car but own a lot of video games and guns? If .308 would be easy to find or about as easy as 7.62 nato it is a strong choice. From what I have read up on so far I am really liking the Remington 700.

You can't go wrong with a rem 700. They're all over the place used. If you can afford a couple hundred dollars for a few months worth of .30, maybe you should look into some precision rifle courses? That being said, getting a basic reloading setup will recoup your money in no time shooting like that. I can load m118 for way cheaper than I can buy even the shittiest surplus for.

You can't go wrong with a rem 700. They're all over the place used. If you can afford a couple hundred dollars for a few months worth of .30, maybe you should look into some precision rifle courses? That being said, getting a basic reloading setup will recoup your money in no time shooting like that. I can load m118 for way cheaper than I can buy even the shittiest surplus for.

Buying a reloading press is on my list. I will have one eventually.

Here's a few questions I have:

-How far do you, realistically, plan on shooting?

-Will you be modding the weapon at all, or are you going to leave it box stock?

-Do you have any experience with precision shooting?

At least 100 yards or more. I heard the state parks around here offer 100 - 300 yards outdoors for a small fee. I would make a day of it or a weekend if I feel like camping.

Not sure. I do know I would like a bipod at minimum.

No

At least 100 yards or more. I heard the state parks around here offer 100 - 300 yards outdoors for a small fee. I would make a day of it or a weekend if I feel like camping.

Not sure. I do know I would like a bipod at minimum.

No

Ok. Here are a few of my suggestions.

-If all you plan on shooting is 100-300yd, I would stick with .223. It's much cheaper to shoot, and you'll get the same effect. You're wasting money on .308 if that's all the distance you plan on shooting, unless you're just buying it for the cool factor.

-A bipod is it? I'd buy a Savage > Remmy if I was planning on keeping the internals stock. The accutrigger shits all over the X-Mark Pro trigger.

-If you don't have any experience, I definitely wouldn't buy a .308 to start out with. You're throwing away money. Hell, I wouldn't even start out with a .223. Nobody ever listens to me when I say this, but I'd start out with a rimfire to get the basics down. It's cheaper, and you can spend all day at the range practicing. Granted, it doesn't have the 'wow' factor, but you'll learn more.

-If you don't have any experience, I definitely wouldn't buy a .308 to start out with. You're throwing away money. Hell, I wouldn't even start out with a .223. Nobody ever listens to me when I say this, but I'd start out with a rimfire to get the basics down. It's cheaper, and you can spend all day at the range practicing. Granted, it doesn't have the 'wow' factor, but you'll learn more.

Go damn I wish MORE people would realize this :rolleyes:

Learn how to shoot on a "cheap" platform. THEN upgrade!

:thumbup:

KillJoy

Yes I thought about buying a 22lr bolt action. My friend has one and we shoot it a lot at the range. I tend to shoot it more then my own guns. I do love it and would buy one but I wanted something with more of a kick. Speaking of those do you know of any good rimfire ones off the top of your head?