Jetta Overheating

TURBOED

On 270 coming home from work today, I first notice that I don't seem to feel much heat coming out. I don't think much of it and keep driving. A few minutes later, I'm cruising along and my display goes nuts, coolant temp light comes on, and OH CRAP, temp is approaching the red. So I pull over and let it cool off for 15 minutes, then managed to limp it to my exit (luckily only a mile away). It was still heating up, and had I not shut it off and coasted down the exit ramp, it would have been back up to the red. I also noticed that as I was limping it with the heater cranked all the way up to try to expel some engine heat, it was blowing ice cold air. Soo, any ideas?

The facts:

- 2004 jetta (1.8t engine)

- Pretty sure it lost all or most coolant (MID said "check coolant level immediately)

- Overheating, and blowing ice cold air

My thoughts are that either the heater core, or a coolant hose just before the heater core cracked from all the cold weather and puked my coolant out. I'm going to limp it home later tonight and hopefully tomorrow I'll have a chance to get under it. Anything I'm not thinking of that I should look for? Any other thoughts?

Damn, that sucks... I was really hoping to just find a split hose somewhere. 74k miles, so yeah, it's getting up there. Is there any way to tell for sure before I start replacing things? Anyone want to do it for me... like... tomorrow? :D Based on the cold and the fact that my other car doesn't go in snow, I might even turn to the dealer for this to get it done asap :doh:

Thanks for the help so far everyone...

What do you mean tell for sure.. it's a positive your waterpump is hosed if it's never been done.

Replace your waterpump, timingbelt, tensioners, and etc while you're at it.. you're past due if you haven't done them already.

What do you mean tell for sure.. it's a positive your waterpump is hosed if it's never been done.

Replace your waterpump, timingbelt, tensioners, and etc while you're at it.. you're past due if you haven't done them already.

I guess I mean, even if we all are 90% sure it is the water pump, couldn't it still possibly be something random like a hose going or something? I just wasn't sure if there was any way to tell 100% sure it is the water pump.

Yeah, I was planning to do the whole water pump, timing belt, etc once it warmed up. Guess I'll be doing it early.

Guest Removed
04 about 100k miles?

if its never had a water pump the impeller is in little pieces....

it can go all of a sudden and then it pushes all the coolant out through the overflow

yep....i have done a ton of them

im sure i can get you a good price on this repair, but i would not be able to get to it till next week.

100% sure and the guys at Hatfield will take care of you.. If you're on OhioVW you get a discount.

I wasn't on there, but I am now ;) Looks like Nick Poppel is the man to call. Thanks for the help, hopefully they can get me in quickly.

Ahh, I haven't had someone else work on one of my cars since I was 17 :(

yep....i have done a ton of them

im sure i can get you a good price on this repair, but i would not be able to get to it till next week.

Appreciate it, but I need it asap. It's currently sitting in a McDonald's parking lot and I need to tow it somewhere...

Nick at Hatfield will take care of you. Been friends with him for years on end. Good guy!

Unfortunately he wasn't in yesterday, so I dealt with someone else. Still seemed like good people to deal with. They're letting me buy my own parts so that I can get the water pump with the metal impeller.