still looking for a contractor

Twistedrx7

I can help ya out with the flooring end. Whoever you go with on the carpet make sure they use a Powerstretcher.

Do you own a company or would this be on the side? Im looking for a type of warranty from the person installing it. Other wise it wouldnt be any different than me doing it.

Make sure you pull the carpet yourself. It will save you some money. Once you get in a rhythm it goes pretty fast. When I was doing it for my dad years ago I could get an 1100 sq ft apartment torn out pad an all in ~1 hour.

Do you own a company or would this be on the side? Im looking for a type of warranty from the person installing it. Other wise it wouldnt be any different than me doing it.

Think he used to work for a company and is now a fire fighter. He as done repair work for me and has installed carpet for several other members.

Jake, what exactly are you looking to have done? You say flooring but is it all carpet? An island? Are you wanting to have one custome built? What about the drywall?

Yeah, Laminate floor installed, tile in bathroom, laundry and possibly florida room.

Not really a hard island, just a 36" cabinet on center with two 18" cabinets on either side. A stove top installed on top with the downdraft installed and vented. the island would have a eating area on back of it.

French door install, cutting into 5th bedroom wall downstairs and making it into a den/office. closet needs taken out and regular door removed and closed off.

Cant think of anything else at the moment. maybe a few smaller things, can lights and stuff.

With the projects you have listed, carpet would be the least of my worries. You certainly want to get what you pay for, but I wouldnt be worried in the least of having say home depot install it. But you have to wonder how they can charge under $100 for a whole house install. Most crews I know who do a whole house have a minimum of 2 guys. Between labor, extras, insurance gas ect... $100 nowhere near covers it. So that must lead you to conclude that they are making their actual install only on the backend of selling the carpet. So they overcharged you for carpet and then tried to swindle you into thinking your getting a helluva a deal on install. Or they knew going into it what it should cost and reconfigured the cost so it balances itself in the end but hope your to dumb to see it. I dont see it as though they are trying to rip their customers off necessarily but just using a marketting gimmick. I am guilty of this as well. So now it comes down to overall cost. For me this is what most of my decision making is based on anyways. I guess you run the risk of getting a shotty contractor anywhere, so you go with who has experience or based your decision on recommendations. A carpet guy usually gets discounts from a wholesaler, not a retailer. You save money with wholesalers usually. Its for that reason I typically use subs that are referred to me and then I either get myself a wholesalers account with the company I work out a deal with the get my customers the best deal or I allow/expect my subs to have this agreement with the wholesaler to ensure my customers get the best deal I can provide.

I am looking for a Contractor that is licensed and knows what they are doing. The work would be getting started in the next week or so.

Includes framing, drywall and flooring.

Who have you used and recommend or used and not use again?

You can PM Joel Walter as he is a member here and a long time trusted friend of mine. He owns his construction company specializing in remodeling. http://www.njwconstruction.com

or

http://www.columbusracing.com/forums/member.php?u=5095

I do it on the side as a business....And I sub contract for others. I warranty all my LABOR for 1 yr.