Any older porsche guys out there

Sam1647545489

Sam,

I spoke to Kevin(my brother) and here is the skinny. Starting in 84, the 911 had the better Bosch ignition which is more dependable and has better performance. He thought the 84 had around 217 horsepower(3.2). In 87, the next big improvements include the G50 transmission(better manual), bigger clutch and higher horsepower ~ 221hp. I dont know if that is from the 3.2 or the 3.6. I forgot to ask.

Concerning his rebuild, he had to rebuild his top end because he over rev'd the engine coming home from work and bent an exhaust valve. He said it is not uncommon to do. The rev limit is a spring based type. Concerning his rebuild, I was off base on this, he rebuilt the top end and and replaced exhaust valves/guides etc. Ed Pimm did the machine work. My brother did the rebuild and his cost for the machine work and parts total around 3K for this.

I can tell you his 911 is one beautiful car. I know you dont like verts, but his a vert and he built a roll cage(that he can easily remove), lowered it and polished his wheels. He has his 911 set presently for getting his NASA license, so built a couple of grap hooks on the car too.

Overall, he said that the 84 and newer 911's are great machines. If you have any more questions, let me know and I can hook you up with him.

-Rick

Not much to cover that hasn't already been said. I don't know what Crossle is talking about push-rod tubes, it's an OHC motor ;) Are you thinking of a beetle?

The 3.2 is a good engine. The last year is the best to get as the g50 is a much better trans than the 915 I think most of the 3.2s got. Fairly trouble free, much more reliable than a 964, but not quite as simple as an earlier 911 SC. They leak oil which is fairly common and some of them will have snapped head studs. You can do about anything with a 911 because the engine bay is about the same size through most of the model lineup. It's not overly difficult to swap in a later 3.6 or any number of other popular engines.

Watch out for rust around the windshield, make sure it hasn't had any monkey-mechanics going on and that sort of thing. The earlier 911s had rust issues around the torsion bar tubes as well, so check the floorpan pretty well. EPR does good work- Ed is always friendly and does all kinds of nice custom work. Last time I was there he had an older 2.7 (?) that had a 993 body kit on it and he was painting another 911 in Audi pearl. Good work and not sheisty like Auto Assets can be sometimes.

Forgot to add... The motors will go 180k miles just fine, but most get rebuilt before then. If it smokes, the valve guides probably need attention as that is fairly common. If youlook at a targa, see if the seals have been replaced because most of the originals will be leaky by now.

Love those cars. Get a turbo model or you may not like it so much. Ive had a couple and driven many of them. They are really fun tail happy cars. Those things will rotate like no other. Auto Assets usually has some of the nicest ones around. Not sure if it's still there buy last time I was in there they had a really nice low mile turbo and a couple other non turbos to choose from plus those guys are exotic car experts.

Late to the party here.

http://www.rennlist.com has the best Porsche forums on the net. Anything and everything you need / want to know can be found there. I'm not too up to speed on the air cooled cars to help out any more than what others have already stated.

What I really like best about the late 70's to mid 80's 911's is the fact that you can easily convert the shell to any number of configurations of great cars. Late 70's IROC, RS, RSR replicas, etc. The shell's the same all you need is body panels and accessories.

If you like the slant nose cars as it was already stated Auto Assets has a black slantnose turbo cab on their showroom with the same Ruf wheels pictured on the silver car in the original post.

Andy