WTB..Zip drives

Guest Removed

Guest Removed

looking for data storage devices. my new invoicing system is almost ready to go, and need some way to back up all the files. lmk what you have, or if you have a better alternative .

thanks

looking for data storage devices. my new invoicing system is almost ready to go, and need some way to back up all the files. lmk what you have, or if you have a better alternative .

thanks

Why in God's green earth would you use zip disks to backup your files? CD/DVD would be a MUCH better choice. Just remember there are laws about storage of the data if it contains any personal information or financial information.

Second-ing the "Use CD or DVD!!" comment. If you really really really want 100MB ZIP drives, Computer Express on Bethel, next to Microcenter, has a metric crapton of them. But really, a single CD has 7x the storange, DVD4 about 46x, and then there's USB flash drives and external hard drives.

Putting business financials in the cloud is a horrible idea.

I think he will be ok. Plenty of business use it: https://mozy.com/pro/reviews/

http://www.cloudslamevent.com/backing-cloud

The best thing about using cloud is that if there was a fire, flood or robbery, you still have everything. Using places like carbonite.com or mozy will encrypt it, which I am sure if Rob is going to throw it on a CD, he will not. Carbonite also uses RAID 6, so they can have multiple disk failures and Rob's data will still be safe.

I think he will be ok. Plenty of business use it: https://mozy.com/pro/reviews/

http://www.cloudslamevent.com/backing-cloud

The best thing about using cloud is that if there was a fire, flood or robbery, you still have everything. Using places like carbonite.com or mozy will encrypt it, which I am sure if Rob is going to throw it on a CD, he will not. Carbonite also uses RAID 6, so they can have multiple disk failures and Rob's data will still be safe.

Cloud services cannot offer PCI level 1 compliance, thus if he stores financial information in the cloud and the credit card companies find out, they'll pull his ability to accept credit cards. Just saying. Don't store business financials in the cloud.

Guest Removed

most of the auto shops i have been in used zip drives(the smaller shops anyway) and still kept files full of old papers(which i plan on doing anyway) to back up files.

but this is why i asked here.

im all about doing this a better way. the easier the better for me. i dont like the cd,dvd drive idea. the external hard drive is what i had in mind(just didnt know the name) so i called it a zip drive (yeah, i have no idea what im talking about anyway) i see the external drives all the time up for sale. the main reason for it is to save warranty info, and so on.

Guest Removed
Cloud services cannot offer PCI level 1 compliance, thus if he stores financial information in the cloud and the credit card companies find out, they'll pull his ability to accept credit cards. Just saying. Don't store business financials in the cloud.

only financial info going to be stored is more then likely the shop info. in a different drive of course. mainly looking to save customer data..no CC numbers

+1 For Ben understanding PCI compliance. :p

AKA the great dicking in the sky to many.

Good to know thanks.

I still own a working external zip drive with a parallel wire connection and 20 disks. But this is worthless anymore for backing up data. Go get a tape drive for backups. Even if it is not going to be that much data buy a USB thumb drive. I just picked up a 16GB one at microcenter for $35. Throw that in a safe when you are done backing up. I do that with my tax information and quicken information.

Oh and I have accidentally ran a microcenter USB stick without the cap on it through the washing machine. I let it dry for a day and it still works with no problems.

Bingo! Business financials should never be stored in the Cloud. I would hate to see what would happen if the company that host the Cloud services would ever go under. I wouldn't want to risk it if it ever happened.

well i still have to figure file size , once its all ironed out.

I picked up an external 250 GB hard drive for like $75 last year. I am sure something that size would do you for some time. You just have to get into the habbit of making backups on a regular basis. That is what normally gets people.

I picked up an external 250 GB hard drive for like $75 last year. I am sure something that size would do you for some time. You just have to get into the habbit of making backups on a regular basis. That is what normally gets people.

if you do this, you better make sure that the drive is encrypted... actually come to think of it, ZIP disks, or whatever type of media that you decide to use needs to be encryted... I know that myself as a customer would not feel comfortable with leaving my personal and or financial data any other way. (as well as it being law)

I got 1TB for like $119. They are pretty affordable anymore.