WTB..Zip drives

Guest Removed

Guest Removed
if you do this, you better make sure that the drive is encrypted... actually come to think of it, ZIP disks, or whatever type of media that you decide to use needs to be encryted... I know that myself as a customer would not feel comfortable with leaving my personal and or financial data any other way. (as well as it being law)

i dont take enough personal info from people to need encryted files. i dont have SS #'s, and in no way should i have your financial info

Why not use a Thumb Drive?

KillJoy

that would be alot of thumb drives laying around. one zip disk for each week at larger volume shops.

and with the files size im looking at for each invoice, it would take 1 larger thumb each week.

i

that would be alot of thumb drives laying around. one zip disk for each week at larger volume shops.

and with the files size im looking at for each invoice, it would take 1 larger thumb each week.

ZIP Disks are either 100MB or 250MB. Thumb Drives are VERY cheap. Kingston has 2GB Thumb Drives for as low as $10! That 2GB Thumb Drive would hold 8-20 ZIP Disks! If you would be using 1 ZIP Disk per week, you could use 1 Thumb Drive per week, and still have PLENTY of room left on the Drive.

KillJoy

i dont take enough personal info from people to need encryted files. i dont have SS #'s, and in no way should i have your financial info

I'm not sure I'm following you Rob. If a high volume shop is using 1 zip disk per week, and a zip disk holds 250MB, then a 1Gig flash drive would hold 4 weeks of backups. So, 1 Gig per month of data means a 16 Gig flash drive would hold over a years worth. Unless your backup software won't let you backup to the same media every night I don't see why you couldn't get by with one set. That being said I would probably use an external hard drive myself. There are several small ones based on laptop drives that would be convenient to transport off site for storage. A simplistic plan would be to have 2. Switch them from home and the shop every day and you'll have 2 copies that are no more than 48 hours old. If you don't want to store one off site then I recommend at least a fire safe. I don't completely trust them though for electronics. My understanding is they will keep the temp low enough during an average fire to keep paper from combusting. Plastic will not do well at those temps.

Just don't skimp on your plan whatever you decide. The whole reason you are doing this is because the data is important. God forbid something happens you don't want to find out that flash drive you've been using is toast.

Rob what program are you going to be using for invoicing? You dont have enough space on your computer to hold the little bit of info recieved from a customer?

Go spend 100 on Quickbooks Pro, set it up to back up at the end of the week and be done with it. Go get a thumb drive. At the end of the week stick your thumb in your hold and back up... :)

It will overwrite every 4 backups, so you wont have to worry about multiple drives or discs.

My Quickbooks backs up everyday to an external hard drive, and thats mirrored with a ftp server sitting in hilliard.

Guest Removed

But why not an external hard drive? You can get like 500GBs external hdd for like 60-70 bucks now.

i already said that would be fine with me. just looking at backing the stuff up, so i can also pull it up later.

Rob what program are you going to be using for invoicing? You dont have enough space on your computer to hold the little bit of info recieved from a customer?

Go spend 100 on Quickbooks Pro, set it up to back up at the end of the week and be done with it. Go get a thumb drive. At the end of the week stick your thumb in your hold and back up... :)

It will overwrite every 4 backups, so you wont have to worry about multiple drives or discs.

My Quickbooks backs up everyday to an external hard drive, and thats mirrored with a ftp server sitting in hilliard.