Computer Gurus: Need an opinion on this laptop

armin922

Depends on what your looking to get out of it? And I'm also sure you could get more bang for your buck from other vendors than Bestbuy. But I had this exact same (or very close) laptop a few weeks ago I sold for $300 and had no complaints from me or the buyer thus far. Worked for what it did.

Also maybe watch slickdeals.net, I know I've scene various Asus laptops go up for sale for some well 'slick deals'. So if your not in a rush you could save $100.00 or more potentially.

Fuck best buy for computers. They charge you for adding "software" when they don't add anything. When you tell them you want a computer that doesn't have the geek squad software updates added they will tell you they don't carry them that way. You don't need that fee go somewhere else.

Micro Center... I bought a Toshiba Satelite laptop 14.1" dual core 4GB DDR3 320GB HD for $499.99 for my wife for grad school. They have really nice refurbs that are under warranty you can get at a great price. I have seen a few on price watch and Tiger that looked decent, but I prefer going into a store to buy them especially if I can get them just as cheap as online.

At least get 7 Ultimate...bit locker is a cool function to have.

The Mobile Pentium DUAL-CORE T4400 is a DUAL-CORE processor. It's based upon the Core 2 architecture. It's not a good processor, but significantly more powerful than any Atom processor. For that price range you can probably pick up an Arrandale based Core i3 processor powered lappy. It's a newer architecture that's more powerful than the entry level pentium series, has slightly faster graphics, and is more energy efficient.

Example: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Toshiba+-+Satellite+Laptop+with+Intel%26%23174%3B+Core%26%23153%3B+i3+Processor+-+Midnight+Breeze/9716096.p?id=1218158634323&skuId=9716096

Edit for more info:

The Intel Atom processor is really only good for one thing: low power usage. It's typically only used in netbooks and some tablet style machines. It doesn't have enough power to decode HD video and isn't suitable for a primary computer.

Between the 2 machines posted by the OP and lolryan, I wouldn't buy either one. But the Asus is the better value. The Asus has a faster CPU (albeit it with a 1MB smaller cache but the same FSB) and a larger HDD for less $$$.

Edited by JaSSon