how to transport handgun with out ccw permit

89Z24

somebody on here has to know how im legally allowed to transport my handgun and ammo without my ccw permit. I plan on getting it here soon but till then would like to know the law and possibly be shown a website where I can find out how I'm legally allowed to transport my handgun.

You must have to exit the vehicle to be able to load the firearm. The laws are vague so to be safe consider a loaded magazine counting as a loaded firearm. So the key point is to separate the magazines from the ammunition such as the glove box/trunk.

From what I was told a few years back you need to have the gun and ammo far enough apart to where you cannot reach both of them while standing/sitting in one place of the car... I was also told a loaded magazine in a car is a big no no.

You must have to exit the vehicle to be able to load the firearm. Loaded magazines count as a loaded firearm. So the key point is to separate the magazines from the ammunition such as the glove box/trunk.

Just noticed we posted at the exact same time :lol: With all the suvs on the roads that dont have trunks they changed the verbiage a little bit... but thats pretty much what I was told as well.

(B) No person shall knowingly transport or have a loaded firearm in a motor vehicle in such a manner that the firearm is accessible to the operator or any passenger without leaving the vehicle.

I thought they updated that. Based on the wording they technically could arrest you in any suv, or car with a pulldown backseat. Both ways would give you access to the firearm without leaving the car.

Yeah, the laws are vague and need updated. So.....basically just use common sense and don't get pulled over. Make damn sure it's NOT loaded, stick it in some sort of a case, keep the ammo out of the mags and out of the case, and keep it either in the furthest back part of the vehicle, or stick it in the glovebox and lock it. If you set it up like that and you get pulled over I really doubt you would get hassled, but no promises.