Olympic Luger Dies After Crash During Training Run

HAOLE

was very hard to watch. I watched the races last night, they had redid the ice and put up a wall, also the men started at the women's starting point but they were still reaching the same speeds that Kumaritashvili did so I'm not sure how that helped by shorting the course be 300 yards.

From what I heard last night and read online, it keeps them from building up speed at the top of the course. If you watch, it's not until about 3/4 of the way through that they really jump in speed.

The reasoning is not only is it keeping them a few mph slower but it allows the rider to settle in and have better control before they hit the really fast part.

The debate here is whether it was inexperience or track that caused the error. Proof from both sides have been shown as even the most experienced guys have wrecked showing the track is difficult, but they also said that the less experienced but very good riders are not able to get settled and in as much control due to the quickness that they were building up speed.

I agree with both. Watching last night it was clear that they had time to get in control, the speed boost was more controlled and by the end while speeds were upwards of 90mph still, the riders seemed less intimidated.

I forget the rider, but the one that smacked the top of the curve...which is a concrete wall.....he was lucky...and they said had he been 5-10mph faster at that same point, it could have been tragic. He likely would have really wiped out, but instead was able to recover.

I'm not sure how that helped by shorting the course be 300 yards.