WANTED: Advice for all vendors and consumers - project related

TTQ B4U

Okay, so I'll create my own thread on the subject. If interested, you're welcome and encouraged to reply and post thoughts and insight. I will however ask everyone to keep the discussion professional and constructive. If you aren't up to that & prefer to complain or bitch then go elsewhere. If you don't know the person your responding to personally, then keep it professional. Again, this isn't posted in Romper Room.

This is the area to offer/post Pictures, updates, advice, etc concerning that project vehicle of your dreams correct? Yes. Okay,I'm good because what I'm posting about and hoping to see here is Advice.

I'd like to create a Best-in-Practice thread or area for vendors to learn from one another. They exist in lots of other forums, but it seems here on CR, we don't have one and rather, The Oven gets plastered with complaints and Projects gone bad become threads more appropriate for Romper Room.

So What is a Best Practice?

A best practice is the process of finding and using ideas and strategies from outside your company or industry to improve your business in just about any area.

• Best Practice benchmarking has save tons of money for business of all sizes in all areas of their business operations. Small businesses here on CR can reap the very same rewards.

• By learning what other companies have successfully done, you too can save money without trial and error.

• Trying to solve problems that affect your business on your own can result in costly mistakes. By Learning what others have done can keep your business in business. Learn to borrow the best from beyond your company.

• Why care? Because by doing so, you raise the bar of performance & set new standards of excellence as you grow and expand your business.

Anyway, for those that care, I'm going to lead off with my best in practice insight. Project Documentation including Statements of Work

Stay tuned...

We've all seen the scenario play out. Consumer X goes to Vendor Y and asks to have a motor swapped into his car. Money is exchanged, time goes by, work is completed, sometimes damage happens, work needs corrected, deadlines are missed, tempers flare and then the dreaded 84 post thread ensues, personal attacks happen, negative rep spreads around, moderator warnings pop up, occasional bans are handed out and and finally a moderator lock is in place. Ultimately though, nothing is ever actually resolved.

Wash-Rinse-Repeat.

So how can you avoid this as a consumer? How can you insure as a vendor your exceeding expectations? Get it ALL in writing.

How? Start with framework and add in the details and sign off areas. It's no different than building a house, remodeling a kitchen or implementing a new accounting package for your business.

It amazes me that in the short time I've been on CR that motor swaps typically include less documentation that I get when driving our minivan to Valvoline for an oil change and tire rotation. Crazy.

What's the framework?

The details may vary from project to project as of course things are always custom to the situation. Not every project will be so intensive or detailed, However, this is the framework I typically work from and while I'm trying to correlate it to automotive work, I come from a software background, so feel free to chime in on where it might be different. In the end, you'll see where I'm driving to on this subject. Clarity.

Stay tuned:

Edited by TTQ B4U

All shops should have an initial inspection form and the customer should sign it . Just like when u rent a car or uhaul they look the vehicle over and it will nip a lot of issues from the begining. Customers if it's a big project take a billion pics of everything. And if you're gettin the run around get the courts involved all it takes is a couple or a few lawsuits and that shop will be bankrupt win or lose ( at least we can hope if they are that bad)