Changing Timing Belt - 2004 Toyota Sienna

10_penn

Just wondering if anyone can give me a quick run-down on how to change the timing belt in a 2004 Toyota Sienna with the 3.3L V6. It's just passed 90k miles and is due for its recommended replacement interval.

I'm confident and experienced enough to do this in my own garage with my own tools, as I have done before. However, this is the first time working on any Toyota, and timing belt for that matter. My other car has a timing chain with colored links (06 Saturn ION Redline) and is quite easy to set time after you know where the colored links are supposed to go.

Thanks!

i've done a ton of these, they are not bad at all. just lining up the timing marks can be a lil tricky. behind the can there is a mark and on the cam sprocket/pulley there is a little hole you need to line the timing mark with. there should be a lil triangle mark down by the crank. this motor is a non interference motor. worst that can happen it's out of time. no CRUNCH!

Guest Removed
thanks for all the replies guys. it'll prob be another month or so before i try this.

why did toyota use a belt again? chains are so much better in every way...

till you do a chain set up.

most have atleast 2 chains or 4!

i got a gear,guide,chian set for a dodge 4.7 +$345

2 long as chains too

there are 4 chains in ford mod motors

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y196/gearhead559/helleon%20turdanator/100_4421.jpg

now what was you saying

i understand what you are saying, gearhead, but if ford had decided to use belts instead of chains, you would have 4 belts, 2 of them long as fuck.

belts are louder, require more maintenance (such as 90k mile interval i'm doing), and are more prone to slipping off the gears (this last one is my observation, not fact, as my buddy has had his slip off 3 times, no matter how tight the tensioner)

it's probably just personal preference.

Guest Removed
i understand what you are saying, gearhead, but if ford had decided to use belts instead of chains, you would have 4 belts, 2 of them long as fuck.

belts are louder, require more maintenance (such as 90k mile interval i'm doing), and are more prone to slipping off the gears (this last one is my observation, not fact, as my buddy has had his slip off 3 times, no matter how tight the tensioner)

it's probably just personal preference.

no if ford did it , it would be one big belt. but ford choose's to use chains on it dohc stuff.

and if your buddies belt keeps coming off, he is having a different issue. not a belt problem

and belts are quieter btw, and cost less, and easier to maintain then chains

Guest Removed

no, we would have this discussion when the guides are breaking apart in another 50k(or so), and the chains are flapping in the wind, and pretty sure it would be over 1200 or so for toyota to do the chains. by then your 1/2 way to needing the next belt, and still way cheaper.

and quieter.

well... let's just agree to disagree on this one. thanks again for your help. i will probably start on this in the next month or so.

btw, do you know if the 3.3 is an interference engine or no? some have said no, others have said it's the only interference-timing belt combo engine toyota had made