Health Care Summit

El Karacho1647545492

http://www.c-span.org

Watch it, you won't be disappointed. A few thoughts;

-Its amazing how much Reps and Dems agree on healthcare when they're not allowed to grandstand with outraged speeches.

-In my lifetime, having studied a lot about the American Presidency, I can confidently say that after the Bush and Nixon presidencies reinforced the power of the Office of the President, I never EVER would've imagined I'd see a president sitting down and speaking rationally with Senators. I think we're all used to Presidents standing at podia (podiums?) making passionate speeches to Congress followed by cheap applause and several passionate rebuttals, followed by more cheap applause and then nothing happening. I think we might be seeing a shift in the role of the President if they reach any kind of consensus her and get something done.

-I think Obama is doing a pretty good job of moderating this. The Dems need to stop talking like assholes though.

obama just needs to drop it. many dems are not going to commit political suicide by voting for this. they all saw the referendum with scott brown being elected...

:wtf: why is it political suicide? it sounds like there are a number of republicans who want something similar to what the democrats are proposing, just that they want to know that some main issues get addressed.

:wtf: why is it political suicide? it sounds like there are a number of republicans who want something similar to what the democrats are proposing, just that they want to know that some main issues get addressed.

You think they are going to go on national tv and look like schmucks? On tv it will be civil and polite, but when the cameras are off it will be a different story.

What you are seeing is NOT what was going on behind the "closed" doors we saw in December. Making healthcare more accessible, cutting F,W&A and reducing cost is shared amongst everyone, find someone who doesn't want that! The difference here is philosohical; how this gets done is the REAL sticking point. One side wants centralized control (read: Washington) and the other wants decentralized control (read: states and ultimately the individual, you and me)

Look at is this way, Jews, Christians and Muslims all beleive there is one God and that it (he) is the same God, so what's the big deal? There couldn't be any arguments/disagreements between these fellow believers then right?

So I've been discussing all this with a friend while watching, and we found a couple very VERY interesting polls/graphs:

http://sas-origin.onstreammedia.com/origin/gallupinc/GallupSpaces/Production/Cms/POLL/ddxm_xz4aeqhcb7ruwqyha.gif

source: http://www.gallup.com/poll/4708/healthcare-system.aspx

http://blogs.ngm.com/.a/6a00e0098226918833012876a6070f970c-800wi

so according to gallup it's about half and half as of last year that people think the fed .gov should make sure we have healthcare, not provide healthcare or require healthcare. I'm sure NOBODY wants to see this become more MA-like where we'll be fined for NOT having healthcare.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/its-my-health-its-my-choice-danny-williams-says/article1477872/

"This is my heart, it's my health, it's my choice."

With these words, Newfoundland Premier Danny Williams defended his decision to hop the border and go under the knife for heart surgery in Florida.

The minimally invasive mitral valve surgery he needed is not available in Newfoundland, he told his province's NTV News channel in the first part of an interview aired last night.

"Did some checking, of course, and what was ultimately done to me, the surgery I eventually got ... was not offered to me in Canada," he said.

Good Doctors don't practice for minimal money. People come to the US to receive Haealthcare for a Reason.

so according to gallup it's about half and half as of last year that people think the fed .gov should make sure we have healthcare, not provide healthcare or require healthcare. I'm sure NOBODY wants to see this become more MA-like where we'll be fined for NOT having healthcare.

Thats what the law is in MA, but its not enforced.

And as someone who was making minimum wage in MA, I can tell you it was pretty nice to have $2 copay and free medication, even though I was never forced to take advantage of that.

Thats what the law is in MA, but its not enforced.

And as someone who was making minimum wage in MA, I can tell you it was pretty nice to have $2 copay and free medication, even though I was never forced to take advantage of that.

would you have written thank you notes too all the rich people who took care of you?

:)