dim headlights

Guest tbutera2112

Guest tbutera2112
looking at the wiring diagram real quick it could also just be stuck with the DRL on and not switching to low beams when commanded....

do your high beams light like normal or are they also dim?

this was what i suspected originally, but i was told in a thread on a saab website that my car uses the headlights for the DRL... my brights appear to work alright, but my lowbeams suck...i posted up asking what the headlight switch is for thinking maybe it had something to do with DRLs being on instead of lowbeams, i figured maybe the bulbs were dual filament or something...but i guess theyre single and the DRL and lowbeam are the same thing

It actually sounds like you have the normal (brain dead) implementation that we all have and nothing is wrong at all.

The reason you don't understand the difference is because the "DRLs" are really just the low beam headlights (no lower power, no extra bulb or filament), and in North America you cannot switch them off.

The headlight switch is just there because the europeans are allowed by GM to turn their lights on and off at will, and they didn't bother to take it out for us.

I believe that the only thing the on switch would do if you switched it to off would be to prevent you from turning on the fogs. For that reason, you might as well leave it in the full on position (rather than have two steps when you wanna turn the fogs on).

EDIT - I think that maybe the park position leaves the corner lights on when the car is off, so it's not good to leave it in the middle unless you really need the parking lights.

if it was an issue with the connection at the lens, wouldnt only 1 light be dimmed? ill have to figure out where/if these lights are connected and look around there,i will check my grounds too

ide buy some silverstars, but if they only lasted 6 months i dont wanna bother...ide get maybe 3 outta them since my headlights come on with the ignition and cannot be shut off unless the car is shut off...theyd burn up quick being on all the time

I have never had issue with silver star bulbs I had them in my mazda 3 and they were 4 years old when we got rid of the car.

Unfortunately, the halogen projectors will never have the correct cutoff. They are literally built to completely different specifications due to the immense difference between the two.

Anything is better than the retards sticking the HID kits into their non-projector housings and blinding half the highway. So fucking stupid.:o

I don't have a projector housing and have OEM HIDs from the factory.

Guest tbutera2112

are you guys sure about the DRL thing on my saab? i know my moms honda is like that, same bulb and its dim and gets brighter, but i dont think my saab is...heres all thats mentioned in WIS for my car

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i82/SaleenSS90/WIS1.jpg

Guest tbutera2112

also

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i82/SaleenSS90/wis2.jpg

it sounds like its a very simple system, and the way the diagram is, it shows no relay or anything....just different situations for them to be on/off etc...

on models with DRL *like US models*, they are activated in all positions of the headlight switch on the dash....it doesnt mention anything about headlight/drl being different intensities or anything, and the chart in WIS shows that in position 0/1/2 the dipped beams are always on....so if theyre always on, there couldnt be anything to regulate the intensity...my moms car they only come fully on when the headlight switch is in position 2...so 2 has a difference from 1 and 0 which both use DRLs, on my car 0/1/2 are all the same

im thinking its got to do with something other than DRLs since i dont believe theres a difference in mine, and according to the saab tech who answered my questions on saabcentral (quoted above), they do not receive lower power