Bleeding the clutch

Guest Spam

So me and turboking15 (Leigh) had finally finished my car on Wed morning at 4am and we needed to bleed or actually fill the clutch line we replaced. I bought a SS clutch line from the master to slave. So we filled it up and started to do the bleeding process of me pumping the clutch, i push down and he cracks the line, and initially it should just sit on the floor and after a few times come up by itself, but after bleeding and rebleeding it still wouldnt. We must have done it for 30 minutes. Anyone know why?

Nothing was changed except for the line. It just wouldnt "pump up" enough to make the clutch have barely any feeling in it.

Any suggestions? I dont have the car its still at First Impressions but i want to fix it this weekend.

to correct james, i would crack the line have him push down the pedal then close it and have him pull the peadal back up. this is the method we used on my gf's dsm and it worked perfectly so i have no idea why its not working on his.

to correct james, i would crack the line have him push down the pedal then close it and have him pull the peadal back up. this is the method we used on my gf's dsm and it worked perfectly so i have no idea why its not working on his.

Right. And would then get worse and better and worse???

Check to make sure the stainless line you added is tight and that it is not leaking past the threads- Is it the right flare?

Nope no leaks and its the right flare.

Gravity bleed it, it is how I do all my clutches. I had the same problem with my 88 fiero, I was doing pedal down, close the bleeder, let up. And it never got hard.

Take the reservoir lid off, fill it to the top, open the bleeder and wait. Give it an hour, keep topping it off. Tap the slave with a wrench to make sure there are no bubbles hanging on.

Sort of time consuming but its free and works.

Gravity bleed it, it is how I do all my clutches. I had the same problem with my 88 fiero, I was doing pedal down, close the bleeder, let up. And it never got hard.

Take the reservoir lid off, fill it to the top, open the bleeder and wait. Give it an hour, keep topping it off. Tap the slave with a wrench to make sure there are no bubbles hanging on.

Sort of time consuming but its free and works.

Thanks. Ill try that tomorrow.

After the initial air bleed try shutting the bleed screw and just working the clutch pedal at the top of its travel. It may take a few hundred repetitions. This allows air trapped in the master cylinder to escape into the reservoir. Alternately park it on a grade or jack the nose up over night, this often has the same effect.

OP, you figure it out yet?

I was reminded of this thread when my clutch master cylinder failed on high street last night. It was a pretty awesome drive home, so there is some gravity bleeding in my future.