Car Stereo Repair Recommendation

31rx7

Wasn't sure whether to put this in Tech Help or here.

I have a 2005 Suburban with the Delco Bose AM FM CD Cassette stereo. It has a problem with the CD player (won't accept a CD).

From what I have researched so far, repair will be at least $150. So, I am a bit torn between having this 5 year old unit repaired vs. replacing it with a new aftermarket unit. By the way, I use both the CD and cassette.

Thoughts? Recommendations on a repair place? I am searching on line but if somebody has had good luck with a local place, I am open to suggestions.

Thanks!

Rich

I would suggest an aftermarket. Pioneer priemer, eclipse, higher end alpines are all good. Idk of any company making a good quality with a cassette though. You will get better sound quality more sound adjustments and slightly more power with aftermarket. Hope this helps.

you could go to a salvage yard and try to find a working one? i did see they have casset players on cructhfield but no cd player comes with it... or

hit up LKQ they might have a known working one. they are off of Proveport road and Hamilton road in Groveport. on the south corner oppisite from the wendys.

Should I get another one from LKQ or another salvage place, my concern is kind of the same - am I better off buying aftermarket given an LKQ unit will be several years old, condition unknown.

Speaking with a friend of mine, the concern with an aftermarket is whether it will function properly with the rest of the electronics. For example, various units shown on the Crutchfield site indicate an adapter is needed ($99.95) to hook up properly with the OnStar and other options on my Suburban.

I too would be worried with hooking a aftermarket unit with your Bose system. A lot of times they put mini "amps" in with the speakers that an aftermarket unit might not work with. A friend had this problem on his mid 90's Ford. The mini amps caused a lot of alternator noise and all the speakers had to be re wired to by pass them.

What about Ebay?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Caddy-Deville-2005-BOSE-CD-Cassette-radio-MINT-DTS_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem413db4af7cQQitemZ280208125820QQptZCarQ5fAudioQ5fVideo

if you had a different year car, id recommend getting a replacement from a junk yard. if i can recall correctly a 2005 Chevrolet's radio is vin locked, so you'd have to take the junk yard radio to the dealer to unlock it before installing it. who knows what they'd charge for that. if it was me I'd install a decent alpine or pioneer.

Is it a bose system? the $99 adaptor is used to cure issues that can be experienced when disconnecting something from a vehicle's canbus system. gm had a press release saying that removing the factory radio in a gm car could cause airbag failure. I dont know if I believe it, but it is possible i guess.

There is an adaptor that does the bose system as well, but it requires a radio with front and rear outputs to function- so keep that in mind when you're looking.

It is a fact that the sound will improve if you go to an aftermarket stereo however it can get expensive if you want your onstar to still work the adaptor itself can cost as much as the repair of the factory unit. I've installed many of them over the years and it will improve the sound since you will have a cleaner stronger signal coming from the aftermarket source unit. The bose adaptor even if you dont use the onstar will not be cheap.