1990 Talon wont go in to gear

BoostedAce

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well my car will not go in to gear when it is running, but will go in to gear like butter when car is off. :confused:

You are using the clutch right ?

In all seriousness,it sounds like the clutch isn't be disengaged. Has it always been a little rough to shift? Where was the take-up point before all this happened ?

is it hydro or cable? if its cable, it time for a new one..if its hydro, then something in the system is failing

It's hydro.

Any recent mods/changes/clutch work/ ect.

Where does it normally engage? Rather Low ? The pedal assemblies tend to wear after a while, especially with an aftermarket clutch.

The car has a Fidanza 4puck sprung clutch so it has a harsh engagement, I drove the car back in December right after he first got it, trans shifted amazing for a dsm tranny even at high rpm's it shifted wonderful. My guess is it's a bad clutch master cylinder.

There are so many things that could be wrong. Easiest is to see if you see there is a puddle of fluid in the footwell and to check the cap. Then i would get another person underneath the car and see how much travel the slave has when the clutch pedal is depressed. It alos could be a misaligned clutch fork. If none of that is prevalent. Time to take the tranny off. You might have some broken fins.

There are so many things that could be wrong. Easiest is to see if you see there is a puddle of fluid in the footwell and to check the cap. Then i would get another person underneath the car and see how much travel the slave has when the clutch pedal is depressed. It alos could be a misaligned clutch fork. If none of that is prevalent. Time to take the tranny off. You might have some broken fins.

Ok I will do what you said and hopefully it will be one of those. If not :doh: x1000

Well I got use to the fwd and love it, pulls me hard as hell so I still have not hit high boost. Ya I miss awd for launchs, but you cant always get what you want. So im just happy with what I have.

because you weigh 90 lbs :p

Man its really pissing me off, im reading so much shit on dsmtalk and it could be so much..... I just might tow it to rob.

Welcome to DSM. Last time my clutch wouldnt let me shift. Both slave and master went out. As well as the pilot bearing "went through my clutch" Claimed the complete auto care shop on clime road.

Guest Removed
bet it just needs a clutch master and the slave...all you have to do is have someone push the pedal with someone watching and see if it move's the fork.

Rob I was on my way to your shop when it would not go in to gear......aint that some bullshit? Is that do able in my garage with no floor jack? mine broke :( What gets me is it was driving perfectly fine and I took a turn in a parking lot and put it in neutral and it just would not go in to any gear what so ever. I had to shut car off put in to gear and start it up and drive 1st gear at 5mph cause i would of not been able to get it in 2nd rolling.

Rob I was on my way to your shop when it would not go in to gear......aint that some bullshit? Is that do able in my garage with no floor jack? mine broke :( What gets me is it was driving perfectly fine and I took a turn in a parking lot and put it in neutral and it just would not go in to any gear what so ever. I had to shut car off put in to gear and start it up and drive 1st gear at 5mph cause i would of not been able to get it in 2nd rolling.

Sounds like your slave and master went out. Exactly what mine did. You can probably power shift it. But thats up to you.

Guest Removed
master is the biggest deal to fuck with...do to the under dash stuff..you should be able to do it with out issue....but make sure you bench bleed it first.

Ok, and I think I might be fucked if its not that. I just read that a clutch disc spring could of poped out. My throwout bearing makes noise when I dont have my foot on the clutch, but when I do have my foot on the clutch you cant hear it.

Edit: This is what im reading http://www.dsmtalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=214920&page=2

Guest Removed

true..anything could be possible...dont know till you start checking stuff.

have you checked anything as of yet, or just keep trying to put it in gear? cause you already know , it isnt right

This happened Friday and I didnt touch it till today, I tryed to put it in gear and nothing. I figured I would read up on it and ask around before my dumb self just starts trying to play around with it. This car is truely a learning experience. The other sad thing is, it was the only time I drove the car after I finally fixed my Fuel pump assembly and I didnt get to enjoy all of about 5min...