Edumacate me on late 60's, early 70's Datsun 510

oh8sti

Mike,

I love the looks of the 510 but would never want to own one. Like you said, the SR20 and RB seem to be the hot ticket as far as swaps, but you're also talking about a lot of fabrication and work. If you're going to go through the trouble of a swap, forget about a KA and get something worthwhile. F20c has been a pretty neat swap for a car of that size, but I think personally I would swap a stroked L28DE from the 280z and be done with it.

There's a lot of people who follow the 510s, but there's a very limited amount of original parts around, anymore. Finding one without rust, un-molested and in good condition isn't easy by any means so expect to pay a pretty good amount for even a shell.

Driving one daily is pretty much out of the question. Good luck finding one that runs reliably, as the L16 that came in those were obviously carbed, and probably need overhauled before anything. You'd be looking at converting to EFI which will be a pain in the ass, or converting to weber side-drafts which can be a PITA as well.

Oh, and you're definitely not finding anything in the midwest for it.. you'll be doing a lot of parts searching in the west, which a lot of those guys won't ship anything for whatever reason.

I know someone was waiting for it, but why do you think I like the quad headlight setup on the '80s Corollas? It resembles the 510 quite a bit, and the best part is, parts are easier to find compared to the 510.

http://img25.imageshack.us/img25/7951/img7821copyui0.jpg

Get one with a rotary swap! *flame suit on*

I remember a time when a turbo rotary 510 was the Mount Everest of the tuner car world.

I think Doc and Farkas have the best advice on them. Incredibly cool cars, but no way could you have it as anything but a toy, and for the money they bring these days I'd almost rather come up with the extra coin and buy/build a L28 240Z.

I know someone was waiting for it, but why do you think I like the quad headlight setup on the '80s Corollas? It resembles the 510 quite a bit, and the best part is, parts are easier to find compared to the 510.

http://img25.imageshack.us/img25/7951/img7821copyui0.jpg

O man that would be cool!

Honestly I love your car man, I wish I was looking for thy when you sold your orange one. I woulda picked that up in a heartbeat. I think your right though... It seems that they are hard to find even really nice ones fetching 20k.

Pm me some sites that you think would be good to comb through about the old yotas. That picture is nasty.