Mustang Long-tube help!

Dr. Apex

I have a pretty bad exhaust leak at the manifolds on my car, it already had BBK longtubes on it when I purchased it. Problem is everyone I've talked to says the only way to tell what's wrong is to remove them and that's a bitch on these things.

Anyone out there that's familiar with these things that might be able to help me figure out what's wrong at least? It may just be some loose bolts or something.

Ben

Sometimes a header flange can be slightly warped, but the only way to tell is to removed it and test it with a machinist straight edge. My BBK's would loosen over time, this was before locking header bolts. I'd try some of those Stage 8 locking bolts or there are some that have a set screw in the middle that when tightened spreads the outside bolt. Try the cheapest first...could be a gasket too, if the manifold was left loose and the exhaust has been allowed to burn the gasket.

Hope this helps.

Guest Removed
remove and check for straightness..clean real good..and IIRC, you had a few missing bolts when i looked at it way back right after you got it. and its not that bad to do the headers. but i'll bet it missing some bolts and the flanges have warped some, causing the leak

Guest Removed
doesn't the k-member have to come out to get to the header bolts on that body

that a easier way too, but you dont have too...i have done them with out doing it that way

It looks like a lot of fun. I have a feeling it's just something like some missing/loose bolts, needless to say it will get done properly this time unlike the monkey that had them installed before I got the car.

Thanx for the replies. I'll post up when I'm ready to do this as I don't have the means to do so.