Super Cheap Fittings!!

Fubar231

Just posted this in Josh's build thread, figured id put it up on here too.

Nope, they're not knock off's. Here's the story...

I found out that there is a supplier of “un-official” Russell Fittings. AND they are offered at a fraction of the price as the official Russell Fittings.

The story is that the two owners of Russell Fittings parted ways. One owner kept the Russell name and moved the "Russell" company to California. The second owner moved to Florida and opened his own company and that’s where these fittings are coming from.

The below supplier is where you can get these substantially low cost, “un-official” Russell Fittings. The picture I posted shows that they are VERY well made. No cheap pot metal.

Performance Dynamics

804-427-5908 or 804-366-8321

www.performancedynamicsspeedshop.com

From his previous post

http://i617.photobucket.com/albums/tt257/CajunKenny_photos/P2225576.jpg

He got them all for less than $60 shipped to his door.

I will show you how shitty these fittings are, I have to replace all my fittings because I was told these are as good as earls which is so not true. My oil cooler fittings blew out, these fittings do not seal as good as other fittings I've used. I've done tons of an fittings and know how to properly fit and seal lines. I will post pics later tonight

El cheapo russell fitting http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g127/boosted98gst1998/anfitting.jpg

earls fitting.

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g127/boosted98gst1998/anfitting2.jpg

After doing my whole oil system in an fittings, I had several of the lines feel loose and could turn. I figured it was just bad luck and they sent me another fitting that did the same bullshit. I figured I could get away with it, but lasted 900 miles before blowing out on me. You can tell just by the pictures the jegs fitting is thicker and threads look much better. Either way ive done hundreds of fittings and have yet any issues with earls.

I am not the only one who had issues with these russell cheapo fittings, they seem to be the same cheapo an fittings at the cx racing an fittings, jegs fittings, summit fittings, they all have that thin metal and thin threads that do not grab well. This guy had the same issues with the fitting not grabbing onto the line and feels loose. His car did the same thing.

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g127/boosted98gst1998/crappyan.jpg

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g127/boosted98gst1998/crappyan2.jpg

Guest Removed

funny how i have been using these damn fittings for years, on fuel(up to 80psi) oil (up to 120psi) and even trans hose's (200psi) and have yet to had one fail. and had one failure, by using the incorrect hose end, on the wrong hose(cant mix and match, im getting to that)

now, it dont even look like the correct fittings was used on those hoses. cause when they do blow apart at the threaded fitting like that,(have seen it on other cars at the track, like howes trans hoses on his vette) it pull's the braided covering all to hell. the big thing you have to watch with these hoses and fitting, you can not fix and match brands! the i.d. and o.d. are all different. from brand to brand. been there done that. that or, the electrical tape that someone used on the hoses when they cut them, will let the hose end slide out of the fitting like that. and thats what looks like really happened there!

now fubar, those are twist lock style hose ends..make sure you use the correct hose on those. regular braided hose wont work.

funny how i have been using these damn fittings for years, on fuel(up to 80psi) oil (up to 120psi) and even trans hose's (200psi) and have yet to had one fail. and had one failure, by using the incorrect hose end, on the wrong hose(cant mix and match, im getting to that)

now, it dont even look like the correct fittings was used on those hoses. cause when they do blow apart at the threaded fitting like that,(have seen it on other cars at the track, like howes trans hoses on his vette) it pull's the braided covering all to hell. the big thing you have to watch with these hoses and fitting, you can not fix and match brands! the i.d. and o.d. are all different. from brand to brand. been there done that. that or, the electrical tape that someone used on the hoses when they cut them, will let the hose end slide out of the fitting like that. and thats what looks like really happened there!

now fubar, those are twist lock style hose ends..make sure you use the correct hose on those. regular braided hose wont work.

so are you saying that you need to remove the tape from the hose after cutting? I haven't had any trouble either way but I was curous

Guest Removed
so are you saying that you need to remove the tape from the hose after cutting? I haven't had any trouble either way but I was curous

i would prefer it...since, on a high pressure hose, i wouldnt want the electrical tape to cause the fitting to slide off. i use a small amount of medical tape on mine normally. but most low pressure fuel system stuff, a small amount of tape should be fine. but i see alot of guys using too much tape. the tape makes it nice when cutting with a grinder, so the ends dont fray . but to much tape can be a bad thing. most dont notice the hose getting pushed out the end when you start the other fitting, and thats what gets most in trouble. i like to take a black marker and make a mark on the hose. just to make sure it doesn't push the hose out. if it does, just start over. get it right the first time.