johnstown to newark ("Thomas J Evans") trail - questions/invites 4/3

evan9381

anyone been on it recently? 4 or so of us are looking to ride it this weekend, and i saw sort of like a status report that was over a year old saying the trail wasnt in great shape, and had some chunks missing like small potholes all over...wondering if its anything serious and the spots easily avoidable or if its something those of us with road bikes/skinny tires should avoid completely and find a new trail.

also - if anyone else has any other good routes you ride, post them up (with distance if you know it)...done the alum creek trail + some last couple weeks and want to do something new. i like to avoid busy streets if possible, but dont mind if its connecting to another section.

if anyone is interested in riding this weekend, it looks to be about 15 miles each way from johnstown into newark, so im thinking it'll be around a 30 mile ride, probably a little over 2 hours. grant (GMoney) said he's in, as well as a buddy of mine and another guy from the gym i've been working out with.

Edited by evan9381

I live a block from the j-town entrance. I've walked the dogs down there a couple times and the first mile is in pretty good shape, but I've never really been past there. I wouldn't mind riding from here to the other end, but I really don't think I'd be doing the ride back, probably leave my truck there. I MIGHT be free to ride sunday, but I have no idea at this point.

I use to do the trail when I was a kid growing up in Licking County. Even then the trail could be bad in sections. Last time I was on it had to been 6 years ago, sooo.... There are some cool sights and bridges you will go over a long the way.

I would make one suggestion for you, start the trail in Newark, not Johnstown. The last probably 2-3 miles into Johnstown there is a slight grade up all the way in. I was not a very regular biker, so that grade was killer for me when it was at the end of the round trip. So I would rather hit that grade in the middle of the trip not the end when I am already whipped. But if you do bike a lot, it might not bother you.

Oh yeah and watch for the snakes laying on the trail when you are near the river. They like to warm themselves on the trail when you are near the river. My Dad and sister were afraid of snakes so that always freaked them out.

I live a block from the j-town entrance. I've walked the dogs down there a couple times and the first mile is in pretty good shape, but I've never really been past there. I wouldn't mind riding from here to the other end, but I really don't think I'd be doing the ride back, probably leave my truck there. I MIGHT be free to ride sunday, but I have no idea at this point.

i wish i could go sunday but ive got too many easter meals between my family and my g/fs. if you're up for saturday though, let me know

well...what a ride. 40.03 miles in a hair over 3 hours of riding time. we ended up popping out at the YMCA in nurk, took church st up to 21st and north to arbys for some lunch, then back the same way....wind was fucking WICKED the whole day, but luckily the storm broke up before columbus so we stayed dry.

If you plan on doing this again and if anyone has a bike I can borrow to try to the sport out I would love to try it. I was on vacation last week so missed out. Anyone got an extra bike they would loan me during a ride before I shell out some money on one? I'm training for a half marathon right now so this would be a good work out on days I dont run.

let me know if you find someone. grant (GMoney) said he's down for another ride next week, and i'd like to do at least another 35-40 miles, but i dont know if i want to do the same trail again...its hard to find many long distance trails around here.

i will say though, without the wind we had saturday, we would have been a good bit faster...there were times it was whipping me so hard, i had trouble doing 8-9mph. LOL. the wind was coming at us on the way to newark, and coming at us on the way back...no luck for us.